Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Loose Heat Shield

Old 10-06-2013, 11:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladimer
Just going from memory ... But I believe there are a series of welds on both sides of the exhaust so you would have to grind quite a few of them out. Much easier to simply clamp it then to remove the entire heat shield as you are not really gaining anything by removing it.
I ask because it was rattling when I bought it. The dealer just removed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 10-19-2013, 10:56 AM
JK Newbie

Default Found the culprit

I found where the noise was, and it is what everyone else was talking about. I fixed it with a hose clamp and exhaust putty. I'd post a picture, but can't figure out how to on the iPhone
Old 10-21-2013, 03:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Man, I was thrilled when I saw this thread. I thought for sure that was were my noise was coming from so I put 4 hose clamps on the heat shield and unfortunately there was no change. Like a lot of you it's only when my rpms drop really low. Any other ideas? I thought it was something more serious so I've had to a couple different mechanics and every one thinks I'm crazy. It's like they would rather wait until what ever it is breaks so that way it will be easier for them to figure it out.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepintileguy
Man, I was thrilled when I saw this thread. I thought for sure that was were my noise was coming from so I put 4 hose clamps on the heat shield and unfortunately there was no change. Like a lot of you it's only when my rpms drop really low. Any other ideas? I thought it was something more serious so I've had to a couple different mechanics and every one thinks I'm crazy. It's like they would rather wait until what ever it is breaks so that way it will be easier for them to figure it out.
Mine was rattling only at mid-high RPMs. Are you sure you got the right heat shield? It is the one that crosses over from the driver to the passenger side. Essentially perpendicular to the vehicle frame.

Quick Reply: Loose Heat Shield