Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Low oil, wont be able to do an oil change untill sunday

Old 12-07-2016, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Low oil, wont be able to do an oil change untill sunday

I have 2010 2 door JK.
I checked the oil when getting gas and there is barely any in there ! no where near the minimum. No warning lights, and it doesn't seem to be running poorly.
I have to drive to work and pull a light trailer on saturday, so i cant leave it in the garage until i have time for a change.

My question, can i put in some cheap oil to get me by and then do the oil change?

I use mobil 1 synthetic and i would rather not top it off and then drain it a few days later
I can grab some oil and fill it up on the way to work tomorrow morning

Thanks !

PS i am sitting at about 55k miles on the odo
Old 12-07-2016, 04:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Absolutely no problem throwing some oil in there to get you to a time you can change it. Not that it is critical, but since you use synthetic, I would stick with synthetic when topping it off. I've had great success using store brand synthetic in my generator. But, any proper weight oil would be fine to add. There is no compatibility problem. Are you sure your Jeep was on level ground when checking?

Last edited by rob_engineer; 12-07-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

it was at the gas station, no noticeable grade, so i think it was at least pretty close to level
Old 12-07-2016, 05:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're low on oil & afraid to spend a few extra dollars on synthetic to top it off. What happens if you don't top it off...$$$$

But yea you can mix the oils. Keep the same weight as previously mentioned. It's odd you're that low on oil though.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Do you not check the oil when it's cold? The three minutes it takes to fill up with gas is not enough to allow the oil to drain and give you a proper reading.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get synthetic!!!
Old 12-07-2016, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

You need to get to the dealership and have them run an oil consumption test. The 07-11's with the 3.8 are notorious for this. They will say 1 quart per 1k is normal, but many of the 3.8's use much more than this.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:32 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by zedteamk2
... I checked the oil when getting gas and there is barely any in there ! no where near the minimum. No warning lights, and it doesn't seem to be running poorly. ...
Just want to add that there are really no dependable warnings for low oil before severe damage occurs to your engine. That's why it's important to check it with the dipstick occasionally.

Also, you have six quarts which is more than enough for street use. IOW, being a little low isn't really much of a threat for easy street use. However, get out there on trails in off-camber situations and you could end up with the oil pick-up out of the fluid. That would not be good.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 12-07-2016 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep in mind the dipstick is only measuring 1 quart. If it shows near empty you likely still have 5 quarts.

Quick Reply: Low oil, wont be able to do an oil change untill sunday