Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Lowering the front windshield?

Old 08-18-2009, 09:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering the front windshield?

Is it possible to lay the windshield forward?

I've looked and can't tell if it can pivot or not?

Anyone done it?

What bolts or parts do I need to remove to do it?

I need to get to a bunch of junk that fell in front of my dash down that huge gap and the windshield prevents me from getting to the junk.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have found it easiest to undo/remove the windshield hinge covers first (and remove the wipers), then take off the bolts holding the side bar to the shield.

Lower the windshield. Then take off the bolts holding the side bar to the center bar. The last bolt will hold the bar in place until you are ready to take it out.

I don't know how to add the link. I just copied and pasted this from Dubya's post.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

of course you can lower it.. its a Jeep!!!!

Old 08-18-2009, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I always thought it was one heck of a lot of work to accomplish very little. Who wants the darn thing down anyway....
Old 08-18-2009, 06:18 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by hohokom
I always thought it was one heck of a lot of work to accomplish very little. Who wants the darn thing down anyway....
It's GREAT fun when wheelin'....used to do it all the time in my CJ. I'd do it again in the JK but it's such a pain in the ass to take off the shitloads of screws and bolts.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The PITA/Fun ratio is way off! Way too much work - and if you think it will be just your top that leaks after you do this a few times, well, let's just say you probably should carry a few extra towels.

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
but it's such a pain in the ass to take off the shitloads of screws and bolts.
And AK4Dave is right. If you look up "shitloads" in the dictionary, it shows a picture of the JK windshield!
Old 08-18-2009, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

yeah .. but everyone should try once to remove all doors, top down & windshield down .... just once at least ...its a Jeep
Old 08-18-2009, 07:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wakeup!
yeah .. but everyone should try once to remove all doors, top down & windshield down .... just once at least ...its a Jeep
I don't think I'll be taking mine down unless I have tp fix the windshield seal like I did in my Tj. It looks weird. If you could get rid of the sportbar it might look ok. But if I wanted that type of Jeep I'd buy a willies. That's just me.

I'd be afraid of it cracking while on the trail if it were down. It sticks up quite a bit from the pics I've seen.

Quick Reply: Lowering the front windshield?