Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

LSD or BLD

Old 01-02-2009, 07:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Geeper4x4
The BLD is is actually quite helpful in many situations that allow one wheel to start slipping you will never know it even kicked in.
Right, it only brakes the offending (spinning) side of the axle.

But if it worked that well we rubicons would not need lockers.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:56 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can understand it working in slow crawl situations that are not that extreme, but to me , cutting power at the wheels back and forth may be good for stockers, but put bigger meats on and more travel in the susp. , you need lockers, wich is what I'm saving far. It may be good in snow cause it keeps you from spinning out, but for muddy hill climbs it sucks.X2 on the Rubicon comment, if it was so great, why do the Rubi's have lockers?
Old 01-02-2009, 11:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkjeep
I can understand it working in slow crawl situations that are not that extreme, but to me , cutting power at the wheels back and forth may be good for stockers, but put bigger meats on and more travel in the susp. , you need lockers, wich is what I'm saving far. It may be good in snow cause it keeps you from spinning out, but for muddy hill climbs it sucks.X2 on the Rubicon comment, if it was so great, why do the Rubi's have lockers?
Right! on-road the bld is great for snowy weather or slick stuff but off road you want/need those lockers.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:21 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the BLD tries to do is keep both wheels (of the axle) turning at the same speed, obviously lockers can do this more efficiently, as the required delay associated with wheel spin, then the brake reaction is not needed.

Lockers > BLD.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man

If wheeling in 4HI though you would definitely want/need to disengage the ESP via the button, especially for mud or snow.
I would clarify that to be relatively deep mud or deep snow. I have found that ESP works perfectly in up to 6" of snow (the most we've had here so far at one time). In deep snow, I can see where getting some wheel spin is needed, ditto for deep mud. I do turn it off in deep, loose sand or it will bog down.

Anyway, my thoughts....

My regards,

Widewing
Old 01-03-2009, 03:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JulietKilo
Right! on-road the bld is great for snowy weather or slick stuff but off road you want/need those lockers.
I tested the jeep in deep snow last week and found using the lockers made the jeep slip and slide like crazy.

Much better with the locker off.

Quick Reply: LSD or BLD