Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Manual Trans Issues

Old 06-06-2010, 07:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual Trans Issues

A couple weeks ago I went to an ORV park for the weekend and had a blast but of course any time spent having fun means even more time spent cleaning and fixing. While I was there I went through some water that was deep enough to get my ass wet on top of the seat cushion.

When the Jeep is cold the tranny is perfect but after about 15 miles it becomes tough to put it in gear especially 5th and 6th! I figured I got water in there so I changed the fluid (including all others on the Jeep) and it looked like I got some in there. The fluid didn’t look like it had too much water in it but I did see what appeared to be water condensation on the fill plug. The drain plug had the expected metal flakes but nothing out of limits. I’m guessing that some water may have messed up the syncros but I have very limited transmission knowledge so that’s an uneducated guess. I’m taking her into the dealership this week since I’m still under warranty but I would like to have some sort of idea of what’s going on so that they can’t jerk me around too much. Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 06-06-2010, 10:57 AM
JK Freak

When you go to the dealer you may not want to elaborate on how the water was up to your ass. Just say'in as you know how they can be.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, won't be telling the dealer how it happened LOL. Anybody know what may be wrong?
Old 06-07-2010, 11:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just another reason I drive around water rather than go through it if I have a choice.

Crossing the shallows of a creek because I have to get to the other side is one thing, but these motorboat excursions into dashboard deep water? NFW.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:02 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Under Dawg
Just another reason I drive around water rather than go through it if I have a choice.

Crossing the shallows of a creek because I have to get to the other side is one thing, but these motorboat excursions into dashboard deep water? NFW.

X2....also, did you change ALL your fluids?? That deep of water I am sure you got some in your diff's and transfer case. Good idea before you cross water again is to locate your breather tubes for your diff, tranny, transfer case so you have an idea if you go over these breathers it's time to change your fluids.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08Rubicon
A couple weeks ago I went to an ORV park for the weekend and had a blast but of course any time spent having fun means even more time spent cleaning and fixing. While I was there I went through some water that was deep enough to get my ass wet on top of the seat cushion.

When the Jeep is cold the tranny is perfect but after about 15 miles it becomes tough to put it in gear especially 5th and 6th! I figured I got water in there so I changed the fluid (including all others on the Jeep) and it looked like I got some in there. The fluid didn’t look like it had too much water in it but I did see what appeared to be water condensation on the fill plug. The drain plug had the expected metal flakes but nothing out of limits. I’m guessing that some water may have messed up the syncros but I have very limited transmission knowledge so that’s an uneducated guess. I’m taking her into the dealership this week since I’m still under warranty but I would like to have some sort of idea of what’s going on so that they can’t jerk me around too much. Any ideas? Thanks!
that sucks, hope they can figure it out....i noticed that you're at Langley AFB, VA...i grew up in poquoson right around the corner and am now living in williamsburg....always looking for places to wheel, so where was the ORV park you went to? also, how much did your centerforce clutch set you back? i wouldn't mind upgrading mine...

Quick Reply: Manual Trans Issues