Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Manual Transmission Oil Change

Old 11-27-2010, 07:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just made my tool today at work. 17mm bolt head with matching nut. A couple of tack welds grinded down. Should work like a charm.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-933003703.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	105256   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2843169891.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	105257  
Old 02-16-2012, 09:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did my transmission fluid last weekend. Apparently i had hit my exhaust pretty good while wheeling and in addition to some nice scrapes and dents I had bent my exhaust even closer to the drain plug. Instead of needing a 1-1/4" 17mm tool i had to make mine 1" and even then i needed a pry bar to get the drain plug out. Terrible design flaw putting the exhaust where they did.

One more note on the fluid change, I saw a bunch of posts with people questioning if they could use Royal Purple Syncromax. I called RP and Syncromax this is what they recommend for our trans. They also gave me some song and dance about how Syncromax will form a flim that is 3-4 times stronger than Syncromesh. Believe what you will, I went with the Royal Purple.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

going to try to change the trans fluid tomorrow. just over 100,000 mi. figure it cant hurt. need to pick up a 17mm bolt head. also heard of taking a 1/2"( or was it 9/16 ") rod coupling and grind it down a bit to fit the 17mm hole. should be a quick n painless job. the mopar "special" trans oil is expensive. wish I would have known about alternative oils. I had heard it could only be the mopar brand, what a scam. ah well live n learn.

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission Oil Change