Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

MOAB Rims showing pitting/oxidation?

Old 04-05-2009, 02:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MOAB Rims showing pitting/oxidation?

I have a set of Rubicon rims that I picked up used off a forum member back in January. Within the last week or so, I noticed that just one is starting to pit/oxidize near the other edges of the rim. It almost looks chemical. I thought it was just dirt until I tried to wipe it off and noticed small "pit" marks. The other 4 are all fine. I know these are machined face rims with clearcoat on them. Any suggestions? I'd consider trying the dealer, but since they are not the OEM equipment for my X, I doubt they would replace the one wheel under my warranty.

I know the marks were not there when I bought them, and I run the Jeep through the wash frequently.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what are the "pit" marks exactly..i had brown marks, that were orange when scraped or rubbed, and then with wheel cleaner and a brush they came off..sahara rims on mine..if it is pitting on your rims, that's unfortunate, but after scrubbing my wheels only to see the dust come back, its inevitable the condition is going to go downhill eventually
Old 04-05-2009, 10:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

I believe that is mainly brake dust, or in other words small particles coming off of your brakes at very high temperatures and very high speeds impacting and usually nearly embedding in your wheel as you drive. Best way to prevent it that I've experienced is to use a "wheel wax." Seems to prevent it fairly well, but even a small amount is pretty much to be expected with new disc brakes it seems. My commander did it for sure.

I had a 335i coupe with 19" M6 wheels wrapped around the 13.5" rotors on that thing and it REALLY tried to light the wheels up. Wheel Wax really helped.

my2c
Old 04-06-2009, 01:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When it's clear out, I'll take pictures. This most definitely is not brake dust. It's on the surface of the wheel; you can run your finger nail over it and feel it in the clearcoat. And it's only on the front passenger wheel; no other wheels exhibit this condition.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

weirdddd..yeah id like to see those pics so i can watch out for it

Quick Reply: MOAB Rims showing pitting/oxidation?