Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Which Mobil oil for diff?

Old 07-10-2007, 07:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Mobil oil for diff?

Mobil filters and oils have a good rep., so I figure I might as well use Mobil for everything, including the diffs... Mobil has three gear oils; 75W-140 synth., 75W-90 synth., and 80W-90. The owner's manual recommends 80W-90 and 75W-140 for towing.

I do a mix of city, highway, and some off-road (BTW, I'm doing the Sept. Jeep Jam. in Maine) -- which oil do you think I should use in my diffs? Since I live in Montreal, I figure I should probably go with the 80W-90 or 75W-90 to have less resistance in winter...

Thanks,
js.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Doing some reasearch, I also found this little tid-bit:

Universal Synthetic Marine Gear Lube SAE 75W/80W-90 (AGM)
http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/agm.aspx

Certainly _sounds_ interesting... :-)

js.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

When i changed mine i found that Mobil 1 was ubber expensive. Plus not in stock anywhere. So i went with Valveline Synthetic 80w-90. It was much much cheaper (about 1/4 the price). I figure how much a difference can there be? Plus if i make it leak when i wack a rock that would be alot of money to keep puttin in mobil 1.

SO my thought is leave mobil one for the engine and use the cheaper Valveline for the diffs.

Quick Reply: Which Mobil oil for diff?