Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Mopar/AEV OEM VS AEV Aftermarket - How much is the same? Whats different?

Old 07-15-2013, 06:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mopar/AEV OEM VS AEV Aftermarket - How much is the same? Whats different?

This concerns only the products AEV OEM's to Mopar.

I am looking at the mopar Catalogue and it seems that there are only minor differences in bumpers
Front looks lower on the grill guard and the rear does not seem to have the water tanks or the swing away spare tire holder.

what else am i missing? Does AEV do an OEM suspension for Mopar?

I am very interested in getting the front and rear (with tire carrier) from AEV and suspension.

I have an ext'd warranty in case your wondering from chrysler so there is some desire to keep it Mopar with in reason.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no reason to keep it mopar. If there is an issue caused directly by the lift, they will chuckle at you for saying b..b..but it's an overpriced mopar lift, it should be covered.. As for bumpers, you can bolt a log to the front and it won't affect the warranty.

This has been debated a million times here but it all depends on dealer. I just had my 2 front seat belt assemblies covered under warranty. I took the jeep in with my teraflex 2.5" lift and 35's, no carpet, muddy dash, muddy seats, and no plastic trim around seatbelts. The problem? I went thru a 3.5' mud hole doorless and water/ gravel jammed the seatbelts beyond repair. All depends on dealer. Some will say your whole jeep is voided for going off pavement lol

Last edited by kh202; 07-15-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:46 PM
JK Newbie

i hear you on the bumpers - i personally don't see any reason to stay mopar.

But still was wondering about the differences in them, and if Mopar OEM's a Lift from AEV.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rlynch356
i hear you on the bumpers - i personally don't see any reason to stay mopar.

But still was wondering about the differences in them, and if Mopar OEM's a Lift from AEV.
Gotcha! ! !
Old 07-15-2013, 08:01 PM
JK Junkie

Some mopar lifts are aev products but deeper research will reveal that mopar has no problem putting their name on a few different lifts....namely teraflex and skyjacker.

As far as your bumper choice impacting your warranty.....how is a cheaper product going to cause engine failure if the aev/ mopar product won't?

Magnusson-moss warranty act.....read up on it and save yourself some $$$$ unless you're dead set on the aesthetics of the aev stuff.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 07-15-2013, 08:57 PM
JK Newbie

in the past i have used ARB almost exclusively (on my Toyota and Land rovers), AEV looks like a good alternative since they are focused solely on the Jeep platform and an OEM via proxy.

WRT the act.. yep i understand, however have been in trenches with other cars and warranty issues that should have been covered. If possible its easier to avoid the issue entirely, dealerships change, as do people and polices.

Like i said the bumpers do not concern me from a warranty angle - the suspension does and more accurately the tuning of the suspension does since i have been down the road of suspension tuning with race cars before.
This is obviously not a race car but the issues are the same. A hobbled together system (weight on the front, rear, ride height, shock tuning,etc) are sure recipes for a bad compromise.

If i can purchase a system of components that work together i'm all good, If i can get the same thing AND it be blessed by the factory then all the better. Hence my question. If no one knows off hand i'm good with that too since my call anyway is to AEV.

In my experience an improvement in one direction normally results in degradation in another, it's a compromise in other words.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally would not be concerned with trying to get a mopar lift. Just get a good kit with components made to work well together and you'll be fine. My dealership is great regarding lifts. Some dealerships will simply be boneheads no matter what you do. I chose an AEV lift to fit my needs. I'll work with them on any suspension issues and leave the rest to the dealer. Any reasonable dealer will be ok with quality lifts, bumpers and carriers.

My Call of Duty JKUR came with "mopar" AEV bumpers. The rear tanks are sealed, so no using them for water. The front was the tubeless version, no grill hoop. I added the tire carrier and fuel caddy, so I have a mix of OEM and aftermarket. I'd be perfectly happy going all aftermarket and have seen no real benefit of OEM upgrades.

Get whatcha want and enjoy!
Old 07-16-2013, 03:56 AM
JK Junkie

I guess where I was going with my post is that if you buy the mopar branded kits you'll pay too much for a kit you could pick up for much cheaper. Aev is a quality product but also pricey (imo).

Furthermore....what is it that you're concerned with voiding the warranty in regards to a lift kit? It will void the warranty on the shocks and coils (but you will have replaced them). But they cannot deny a diff explosion because the body sits higher. Nor can they justify that your engine spun a bearing because you've got longer coils.

If I remember right, the dealerships are ok up to 2.5" because usually anything higher causes the driveshaft to be short-lived and the ride drops off until you go with longer/ adjustable control arms.

FWIW- I've got a friend on a couple inches, regeared to 5.13, trussed, and runs 35's- all covered by the factory warranty because he went the route of talking with the dealer first and it is a dealer that isn't a bunch of boneheads.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 07-16-2013, 04:34 AM
JK Super Freak

The bumpers that they sell are just rebranded AEV bumpers, with the exception of the no water tank thing in the rear. My dealership is an AEV dealer as well, so I just ordered the AEV tubeless front and rear without carrier for mine for way less than the Mopar branded ones cost, plus I added the pump kit so I have fully functional bumper.

Quick Reply: Mopar/AEV OEM VS AEV Aftermarket - How much is the same? Whats different?