Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

MOPAR Bug Shield

Old 05-09-2007, 07:26 AM
SCF
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Magister
How did it mess up the spray? Just the way wind was deflected?
Yeah, it played havoc on the wind currents over the hood. Pretty much atomized the spray and it became very inconsistent and didn't clean nearly as well. Amusing to watch, but a pain in the butt during winter/salt messes.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:13 PM
JK Newbie

I have the MOPAR deflector. NO it does not deflect bugs. At all. YES it will keep the leading edge of your hood from getting chewed up by stones which is why I got it. The windsheild washer spray still works fine also - it maybe more of a mist (didn't check before hand) but it still works.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mlbplayer86
if it works i might be interested... i drive 5 mins on the freeway and i already get a windshield full of bugs
I have one and in my opinion it does NOT work. I washed the Jeep today and spend 20 minutes scraping the bugs of the windshield.

If you want it for looks, get it; to keeps bugs of the windshield, save your money.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:08 PM
JK Newbie

Why does everyone think that this is to keep bugs off of the windshield? This is a bug deflector to keep bugs and rocks from nicking up the front lip of the hood and from hitting the hood at such an angle to damage it. It is especially beneficial for the more slanted hoods, unlike the flat Jeep hoods. It is not supposed to have any effect on the windshield.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:39 AM
JK Freak

At highway speeds, I can completely confirm that.

I got plastered with love bugs yesterday, the shield
had no effect.

It does some good at 30-40 mph though.

What I really need now is a radiator screen.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:42 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Hwood
Why does everyone think that this is to keep bugs off of the windshield? This is a bug deflector to keep bugs and rocks from nicking up the front lip of the hood and from hitting the hood at such an angle to damage it. It is especially beneficial for the more slanted hoods, unlike the flat Jeep hoods. It is not supposed to have any effect on the windshield.
To answer your question about why everyone is thinking that a bug shield should shield the windshield from bugs: There are other vehicles (mainly low-to-the-ground, "sporty-type" vehicles with steeply-raked windshields) with great aerodynamics, whose bug shields do exactly that: shield the windshield (and the hood, etc., due to air current disruption/redistribution) from bugs.

Not that I'm suggesting it, but to make a point, on something as tall and with such a mildly-raked windshield as the JK, you'd essentially need something like a 2-3 foot tall sheet of plexiglass to push the bugs high enough that they'd clear your windshield - it wouldn't hold up against the wind at highway speeds, and would kill your gas mileage, not to mention that it would make your driving visibility suck.

So, don't expect to find one that works for a Jeep, BUT there are some bug shields for "sporty cars" that actually do work as some are expecting to find for the Jeep, hence people's expectations.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by fathomgreencamaro
At highway speeds, I can completely confirm that.

I got plastered with love bugs yesterday, the shield
had no effect.

It does some good at 30-40 mph though.

What I really need now is a radiator screen.
Thanks for all the good input - I wish I would have seen this earlier, as I had ordered the mopar deflector because a) quadratec said it was a simple install (the possibility of me accidently drilling through my hood invalidates 'simple') and b) I was hoping against hope that something would help the bug-catcher...I mean windshield. I'm going to send it back because if it doesn't help, I might as well save myself the money and just get a travel squeegee.

For the radiator screen, I picked up the Mr. Grille grille inserts from quadratec and they seem to be great so far. If you do get them, ignore the instructions and just take the whole grille off your JK first - once I did that, I brought the whole thing inside and sat on my couch and my frustration level dropped significantly.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I can't imagine why anyone would put one of these on as a "bling" item if they don't work. They look lame but I put one on my trooper because it was a better designed where it flares up and actually does a good job reducing the number of bugs that hit that also boxy vehicle. I had thought about getting one for my JK (even though they look lame) but thankfully I came across this thread. Looking at the mopar design it's a joke and I can see how it wouldn't work compared to the one on my car. Oh well, I'll have more bugs but the jeep will look much cleaner with out it.

Quick Reply: MOPAR Bug Shield