Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Mopar soft top or Trek nx top?

Old 03-08-2013, 01:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mopar soft top or Trek nx top?

I am looking to get a soft top this season. I recently traded up from a 2010 2 dr to a 2012 jku. My 2 door had a soft top factory installed and I loved it, no problems. The new Jku has a hard top only and I have to purchase a soft top. I heard everyone say they love their Trek top but it's a pain to take the whole top off. I wanted to get some opinions as which top is better for the $. Trek @ $600.ish and Oem style @$1,100. I liked taking the top fully off in the nicer days...
Old 03-08-2013, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I like being able to put the factory one up and down in a few minutes, gives some shade for parking at work, but I can have it down on the drive to and back.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The factory soft top is the most versatile, easiest-to-use top on the market. Just my $.02.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:20 PM
JK Freak

Factory. The trektops look dumb plus you loose space with the slant back. They are popular though but the factory one is better and can be had for the same price as the trek. I bought a brand new JKU soft top with tinted windows off a guy because he bought dual tops and only wanted the hardtop I paid 550.00. That was complete. Door surrounds and all. You just have to be patient to find the deals.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah. I got mine a little scratched up for $200. Idc I dot use the windows.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by newbiejeeper
Factory. The trektops look dumb plus you loose space with the slant back. They are popular though but the factory one is better and can be had for the same price as the trek. I bought a brand new JKU soft top with tinted windows off a guy because he bought dual tops and only wanted the hardtop I paid 550.00. That was complete. Door surrounds and all. You just have to be patient to find the deals.
I agree with this 100%
Old 03-08-2013, 07:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I've seen, it seems that those that own non-factory-style soft tops (ie. NX, Off Road Heroes, etc) are more concerned with form than function. Your decision really comes down to one question: Do you want convenience or do you want a pretty Jeep?
Old 03-08-2013, 08:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by warpeg
From what I've seen, it seems that those that own non-factory-style soft tops (ie. NX, Off Road Heroes, etc) are more concerned with form than function. Your decision really comes down to one question: Do you want convenience or do you want a pretty Jeep?
Have you dealt with the NX in person? I ditched my factory soft top for it, the functionality is awesome. Easy on and off, no frame to worry about and doesn't leak. For me, it's convenient and very pretty.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by warpeg
I don't think this is entirely true. The Trektop NX can be used in safari mode. It has no sail panels in the back. I think that is a function superior to the factory top. Also, on the two door there is less of a fastback effect. Lastly, it has no bows. For those of us that ride more with the top down than up, it means that there is no folded top in the back over the cargo area and no bars along the sides.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

What's winter like for you? How long really? My jeep also came with just the hard top. When I bought I assumed the factory top would be my only choice. I just ordered an ORH top. I love the look, storage hindering or not and for the amount of time I actually run the thing (4 months) the versatility it offered sold me. One week of no hardtop last summer and I knew I had to have a top such as ORH. My friend has dual tops. Last 2 summers he hasn't even put his factory soft top on due to the how annoying he finds it. A wet dog and a hot summer day? I no longer need a bikini top. Just think about the needs the soft top satisfies for you.

Quick Reply: Mopar soft top or Trek nx top?