Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

motor mounts

Old 04-11-2009, 05:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor mounts

thanks for the pics but i jacked it up today and they look ok gaps look ok guess ill just have to put up with the vibration
Old 02-15-2014, 01:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Resurrecting an OLD thread, but I'm having the same issue after getting in a fender bender on the way to work yesterday! Hit on a delivery truck at about 5mph, passenger front - I have a steel aftermarket stubby bumper so no crush cans - definitely more of the impact was to the frame. No frame damage though. Dealer couldn't find anything wrong with it, I even sat with the one service writer and pointed out when I could feel the vibration as he sat in the driver's seat. It's most noticeable under light load, especially on an incline. Or if I put it in P and rev it around 1100rpm I can feel the vibration through the steering wheel and the driver's seat. Annoying as hell. Tried to look at motor mounts underneath but it's really snowy here and I don't have a garage. Looked like a larger gap on the passenger (right side) mount (maybe 3/4"?)

All I know is that my engine was very smooth before, now it vibrates and it's driving me nuts!

Any ideas?

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
Hi- got your PM, it's dark now but I was able to get a couple of pictures, hope it will help you a little bit. The first picture 003 is of the right motor mount from directly underneath. The long ''c'' shaped bracket with the 2 holes towards the center is what should concern you. See where my finger is pointing to the 1/2'' gap between the ''c'' frame bracket and the black cast mount? if this end of the ''c'' bracket is bent the gap will be gone and the mount and bracket will rub, causing vibration. The ends of this bracket should be 90 degrees compared to the 8'' bolt running thru the whole mount assy. The second picture is of the left side mount assy, looking from directly underneath. This left mount is probably your culprit, since the impact point was your left frame rail. Make sure that 1/2'' gap is there. If the ''c'' tabs are bent you can jack the motor up slightly with a piece of 2X4 under the oil pan to take the weight off the long (8'') motor mount bolt. Remove the bolt only from one side at a time, and hammer the ''c'' bracket tabs back to a 90 degree configuration. Reinstall the long bolt and check for vibration. This entire line of advice is based on the premis that your accident could have caused the motor to shift, bending the motor mount brackets. I fix wrecks for a living, so I have seen this result many many times. Remember it could be something else, I'm not on the scene. Give this a try, it might cure what ails ya.... Remember the driver's side is always LEFT, the passenger side is always RIGHT...
Old 02-15-2014, 02:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default sounds to me like a shimmy

regarding AMT comment :> track bar ? or could be something else the thread that always seems to surface is this here on this particular forum , however there are other jeep forums with similar ideas but not the same exact procedure as in the thead link described , as with mine I found a combonation of things could cause it but as ive recently purchased a hd track bar and grade 8 bolt kit , yet to be installed due to snow ive had it aligned and swapped back from my stock tires back to my nittos trail grapplers and rotated those too . ive got it under control it appears ! my next step will be change out that track bar and bolts and then go through procedure as described . however no more feeling of wobble has been felt up to this point ! and from the things I did check like ball joints and most all front end parts seem new in quality. I think its track bar . but when I get a chance this summer ill have gussetts and ball joints done at that time also . unless a tie rod is bent and not noticeable im not sur how one would know if one is slightly bent . my jeep looks new as far as joints and greese fittings wich points to track bar being some of the issue along with the others I mentioned. my axle sits perfectly under jeep and toe is to spec. so check tire balance of tires first then other stuff of course would follow .

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...5/#post3375471

Last edited by jeepmojo; 02-15-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm more inclined to believe it's an engine mount that's slightly off, or possibly something with the exhaust. I can feel it if the vehicle is in Park and I rev it to around 1000-1100rpm. It's a vibration that is felt through the steering wheel as well as the seat. I'm familiar with DW, and this is something entirely different.

I realize it's minor, but I know it never did it before the accident. The response of the guy at the dealership was that I was imagining it when I sat with him and pointed it out. Two other friends of mine, both said they could feel what I was describing when they sat it in too after I brought it home from the dealer today.

I also never "felt" the starter before when I would go to start the Jeep. I heard it, but I never felt the vibration of the starter telescope through the vehicle, which it also does now.

Is it a safety concern? No I'm sure it's not at all. The Jeep runs fun otherwise. Drives straight, no vibration at highway speeds. The only vibration I can detect while in motion is if the engine is under load when ascending a grade, and it's really slight even then. Tires are practically brand new. I'm at a loss here.

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
regarding AMT comment :> track bar ? or could be something else the thread that always seems to surface is this here on this particular forum , however there are other jeep forums with similar ideas but not the same exact procedure as in the thead link described , as with mine I found a combonation of things could cause it but as ive recently purchased a hd track bar and grade 8 bolt kit , yet to be installed due to snow ive had it aligned and swapped back from my stock tires back to my nittos trail grapplers and rotated those too . ive got it under control it appears ! my next step will be change out that track bar and bolts and then go through procedure as described . however no more feeling of wobble has been felt up to this point ! and from the things I did check like ball joints and most all front end parts seem new in quality. I think its track bar . but when I get a chance this summer ill have gussetts and ball joints done at that time also . unless a tie rod is bent and not noticeable im not sur how one would know if one is slightly bent . my jeep looks new as far as joints and greese fittings wich points to track bar being some of the issue along with the others I mentioned. my axle sits perfectly under jeep and toe is to spec. so check tire balance of tires first then other stuff of course would follow .

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...5/#post3375471
Old 02-16-2014, 10:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default lol i got ya

its funny cuz I get the same reaction at any dealer ive gone to , I say see ? a ( it will do it yet they claim not toe see or feel it . I felt a tremor in my wheel and you could see my hand shake a bit and im like this is what im talking about , and they say oh could be the road dealers just don't want to fix them . if your feeling it in idle and rpms yes different it would indicate rough idle or motor mount
Old 10-24-2017, 09:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
Hi- got your PM, it's dark now but I was able to get a couple of pictures, hope it will help you a little bit. The first picture 003 is of the right motor mount from directly underneath. The long ''c'' shaped bracket with the 2 holes towards the center is what should concern you. See where my finger is pointing to the 1/2'' gap between the ''c'' frame bracket and the black cast mount? if this end of the ''c'' bracket is bent the gap will be gone and the mount and bracket will rub, causing vibration. The ends of this bracket should be 90 degrees compared to the 8'' bolt running thru the whole mount assy. The second picture is of the left side mount assy, looking from directly underneath. This left mount is probably your culprit, since the impact point was your left frame rail. Make sure that 1/2'' gap is there. If the ''c'' tabs are bent you can jack the motor up slightly with a piece of 2X4 under the oil pan to take the weight off the long (8'') motor mount bolt. Remove the bolt only from one side at a time, and hammer the ''c'' bracket tabs back to a 90 degree configuration. Reinstall the long bolt and check for vibration. This entire line of advice is based on the premis that your accident could have caused the motor to shift, bending the motor mount brackets. I fix wrecks for a living, so I have seen this result many many times. Remember it could be something else, I'm not on the scene. Give this a try, it might cure what ails ya.... Remember the driver's side is always LEFT, the passenger side is always RIGHT...
Should the motor mount be centered in between the C bracket?

Thanks

Quick Reply: motor mounts