Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Multiple blown ignition coils on 08

Old 05-18-2023, 12:55 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Edit added to above: I'm expecting pin 4, wire K17, will show a low resistance to ground -- which would draw some amount of continuous current through coil #2. But it probably is, or was, an intermittent fault. And when it happens it miss-fires initially, then burns up the coil from too much continuous current. If this is correct (and that's a big if), it points to wiring (K17) that's grounding or a bad PCM. Disconnect C2 at the PCM to isolate the PCM from the wiring and re-check resistance.
Old 05-18-2023, 02:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Edit added to above: I'm expecting pin 4, wire K17, will show a low resistance to ground -- which would draw some amount of continuous current through coil #2. But it probably is, or was, an intermittent fault. And when it happens it miss-fires initially, then burns up the coil from too much continuous current. If this is correct (and that's a big if), it points to wiring (K17) that's grounding or a bad PCM. Disconnect C2 at the PCM to isolate the PCM from the wiring and re-check resistance.
K17 is at 0.4 ohms from the coil connector to c2
It isn't showing it connected to ground and I get no reading when I go from pin 4 to frame, I'm going to plug in my PCM and try again
Old 05-18-2023, 02:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by D Graves
K17 is at 0.4 ohms from the coil connector to c2
It isn't showing it connected to ground and I get no reading when I go from pin 4 to frame, I'm going to plug in my PCM and try again
Yea plugged everything back in and still the same no connection to ground from pin 4 regardless of the PCM being plugged in...
Old 05-18-2023, 02:56 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Yea plugged everything back in and still the same no connection to ground from pin 4 regardless of the PCM being plugged in...
The fault is probably intermittent, which makes troubleshooting miserable. If the wiring looks good, no critters chewing away, the PCM looks like a good bet. I'm still thinking the coil #2 is overheating after a time of continous current, which initially causes miss-fires. That's the best I can come up with from here...

Old 05-18-2023, 03:01 PM
JK Newbie

The fault is probably intermittent, which makes troubleshooting miserable. If the wiring looks good, no critters chewing away, the PCM looks like a good bet. I'm still thinking the coil #2 is overheating after a time of continous current, which initially causes miss-fires. That's the best I can come up with from here...
yea looks good I mean anything is possible I’ve found droppings in there before but I pulled most the harness out and inspected it, it has no connection to ground honestly hoping it’s a pcm I’m ordering a reflashed one from flagship 1 then I’m going to send my current one in to the pcm medic guys for a rebuild to have a backup pcm, first drive is going to be to get a spare coil as well
Old 05-18-2023, 03:33 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

yea looks good I mean anything is possible I’ve found droppings in there before but I pulled most the harness out and inspected it, it has no connection to ground honestly hoping it’s a pcm I’m ordering a reflashed one from flagship 1 then I’m going to send my current one in to the pcm medic guys for a rebuild to have a backup pcm, first drive is going to be to get a spare coil as well
Sounds good, stay in touch! Been thinking about getting a backup PCM for mine, very interested in your feedback on Flagship 1.
Old 05-18-2023, 03:37 PM
JK Newbie

Sounds good, stay in touch! Been thinking about getting a backup PCM for mine, very interested in your feedback on Flagship 1.
Will do and I don't expect alot from their PCM just has to last long enough to get my stock one repaired.... I've used flagship before for a rover HSE tipm, was an ok experience but I've heard mixed reviews for the Mopar pcms so I'm keeping my expectations low and praying they surprise me there is ares technologies PCMs as well but they have no reviews and I feel like mixed is better then none
Old 12-10-2023, 08:56 AM
JK Newbie

Whatever happened here

Having same problem on one of my 2009 JKs
Old 12-10-2023, 08:59 AM
JK Newbie

Long story short I've had similar issue

Gone thru three coils and 2 pcms

Seems then the coil pack blows resistance is feed to pcm and blows it out

Quick Reply: Multiple blown ignition coils on 08