Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My '12 needs...... A new engine??!!

Old 11-07-2017, 09:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My '12 needs...... A new engine??!!

In Aug, I traded in my 07 JKU with 250k orig miles for a 12 with 87k miles. At 90k miles, check engine light came on, took it to dealer. They reset code, changed oil, and said they wanted to see it again at 91k. I get to 91k, light comes on again. I take it back to dealer again, as requested. They tell me it needs... A NEW ENGINE!!!

It's under warranty but still, wtf? My 3.8 made it 250 and the 3.6l is shot at 91k? Something just seems off.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Agreed, a lot is off with that.

But practically speaking, under warranty? Be glad for your tremendous good fortune in getting a new engine. Had you ignored this another 9K miles like I would have then you'd be stuck with your own $5K repair bill. End of the day you get a new engine out of this deal. Win-win, even if the dealer is full of it and just milking Chrysler for a big repair bill.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mr72
Agreed, a lot is off with that.

But practically speaking, under warranty? Be glad for your tremendous good fortune in getting a new engine. Had you ignored this another 9K miles like I would have then you'd be stuck with your own $5K repair bill. End of the day you get a new engine out of this deal. Win-win, even if the dealer is full of it and just milking Chrysler for a big repair bill.
When the lady told me I needed a new engine, I was waiting for her to quickly follow up with "just kidding", but she didn't..

Just got off the phone with them, they changed the oil (again) and are going to let me take it back until the new engine gets here. When it comes in, they are going to give me a loaner while they do the swap. I don't want to be picky but I hope it's another Jeep!
Old 11-07-2017, 01:08 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Did they tell you what is wrong with the engine?
Old 11-07-2017, 02:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yikes! I got a '12 as well so I am curious as to what is wrong with yours specifically that it needs a new engine.

Regarding to one vehicle having high miles and an engine with no issues and another one with low miles and a problematic engine... stuff happens. You never know what the previous owner did.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Did they tell you what is wrong with the engine?
No, but I can assure you I will be marking the block so I can tell whether or not it truly gets replaced. They do have me set up for a loaner though once it's time to take it back.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm interested! I have a 12 with 96K on it right now. Haven't had any major problems. Head replaced around 27k, which was a machining problem and recall(I believe), under warranty. Please ask what the problem is/was. Thanks
Old 11-08-2017, 04:24 AM
JK Newbie

Ours had the head replaced at 52k just after we bought it used. Been fine since, but only drive it 3k/yr
Old 11-08-2017, 07:53 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

dang you should be buying some lotto tickets. that is incredibly good luck. See if they will possibly throw in a new tranny at the same time. I seriously would be happy. I am curious does it seem to run fine?
Old 11-08-2017, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jadmt
dang you should be buying some lotto tickets. that is incredibly good luck. See if they will possibly throw in a new tranny at the same time. I seriously would be happy. I am curious does it seem to run fine?
That is exactly what I'm not following: fresh oil change and it runs fine. After 1k miles, check engine light comes on and may or may not show code, and oil level is low at that point. I don't see it burning oil in the exhaust, and no leaks on driveway, so where is it going?? Once the check engine light comes on, it runs ok until you hit 3000 rpms and then it dogs out.

The one code that it threw (P06DD) hinted at either oil pump or oil pressure sensor, so maybe they found something more serious after doing oil pressure test. I am not asking any more questions about it until AFTER the work is done, and I'm sure they actually did a swap!

Last edited by notherone; 11-08-2017 at 11:00 AM.

Quick Reply: My '12 needs...... A new engine??!!