Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

My engine whistles?

Old 03-12-2013, 05:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My engine whistles?

This could just be coincidence buy even since I removed my throttle body and cleaned it my engine makes a high pitched whistle at around 2k rpms in second and third gear especially. It doesn't do it in neutral only when driving. It's a 07 3.8 6 speed. I have looked the whole engine over top to bottom with it running and off and I can't figure it out. Any ideas?
Old 03-12-2013, 06:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasJK07
This could just be coincidence buy even since I removed my throttle body and cleaned it my engine makes a high pitched whistle at around 2k rpms in second and third gear especially. It doesn't do it in neutral only when driving. It's a 07 3.8 6 speed. I have looked the whole engine over top to bottom with it running and off and I can't figure it out. Any ideas?
Something isn't back in it's original place. You've got an air leak.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

You're not the first to have this happen. I think from reading here some folks had to replace a gasket. others had over torqued when putting the throttle bottle body back. A couple have resolved the whistling by taking it apart again and putting it back together.

You can clean it pretty good without taking it off.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:18 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by RoysRig
Something isn't back in it's original place. You've got an air leak.
This.

Could be a bad seal, or a crack in the throttle body from less-than-careful installation.

There are specific caution notes in the installation instruction warning about proper torquing.

INSTALLATION

1. Install a new intake manifold to throttle body gasket, if replacement was necessary.
2. Install four new j-nuts, if replacement was necessary.

CAUTION: The throttle body mounting bolts MUST be torqued to specifications. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN MOUNTING BOLTS. Over tightening can cause damage to the throttle body, throttle plate, gaskets, bolts and/or the intake manifold. Proper torque of the mounting bolts is critical to normal operation.

3. Install throttle body to intake manifold.
4. Install four bolts and hand tighten.
5. Connect throttle body electrical connector.

CAUTION: The throttle body must be torqued in a mandatory torque sequence. Tighten in a criss-cross pattern to specification.

6. Obtain a torque wrench. Tighten mounting bolts (as shown) in a mandatory torque criss-cross pattern sequence to 7.5 N·m (65 in. lbs.).
7. Install clean air hose and tighten clamps to 4 N·m (35 in. lbs.).
8. Connect negative battery cable, tighten nut to 5 N·m (45 in. lbs.).
9. Using the diagnostic scan tool, erase all previous DTC's and perform the ETC Relearn function.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

But what would cause it to only do it at 2k more no less
Old 03-12-2013, 09:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

But what would cause it to only do it at 2k more no less
Bringing in more ( higher pressure ) air at higher rpm's. Can it whistle Dixie?
Old 03-12-2013, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Y'all said something about a seal being bad which seal would that be and I wish my jeep would whistle Dixie
Old 03-12-2013, 03:33 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

There is a seal between the throttle body and the intake manifold as described in step 1 of the procedures above.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the same thing after cleaning intake, but never removed my throttle body just the intake duct.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redrocksteve
I have the same thing after cleaning intake, but never removed my throttle body just the intake duct.
Yeah I cleaned mine while it was still on only removing the intake tube as well and it only started to whistle then then I took the whole thing off and it doesn't whistle as bad but still does.

Quick Reply: My engine whistles?