Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Is my JK going to blow up?

Old 10-19-2012, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is my JK going to blow up?

Ok, so I have 54,000 miles on my heavily modified JK. It is a 2009 JKU. Just today (as in NEVER before) when I locked my jeep the overheat light above the temp gauge began blinking and wont stop. The JK wasn't overheating, and I only just drove it 15 miles. When I unlock it, it stops blinking. When I turn it on, the temp gauge reads a normal temperature. I checked the oil, and trans fluid and they are fine. Also the coolant is at a normal level. I service all fluids regularly. I have an aftermarket KARR alarm, that has a separate system and separate blinking light. This overheat light has never come on before now. I really have no clue what the hell is going on. Please help!
Old 10-19-2012, 04:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You may have a stuck thermostat?
Old 10-19-2012, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Apparently it is the security light. The computer is not throwing any codes. Guess after 54k miles it finally started to work. So either it didn't work for 2 years or my system is going to crap the bed. Weird that it never came on until now. Oh well.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by c17loadmaster
Apparently it is the security light. The computer is not throwing any codes. Guess after 54k miles it finally started to work. So either it didn't work for 2 years or my system is going to crap the bed. Weird that it never came on until now. Oh well.
You may need to be careful, as if it flashes & then stays on the system can disable the ignition & stop the Jeep from starting. Happened to a forum member here a while back; light began blinking & was doing so for a couple of days & he thought nothing of it, but then one evening it remained lit & his Jeep refused to start. From memory he disconnected the battery for 15 mins & it seemed to do the trick.

Last edited by JKlad; 10-21-2012 at 02:50 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

x2

Disconnect the battery for a bit to reset the computer.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info guys. I will disconnect the battery today for a solid 30 mins and see if it comes back.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by c17loadmaster
Thanks for the info guys. I will disconnect the battery today for a solid 30 mins and see if it comes back.
So how did things turn out in the end; problem solved?

Quick Reply: Is my JK going to blow up?