Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

My soft top header won't latch!!!

Old 05-12-2012, 07:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My soft top header won't latch!!!

I'm installing a super top nx on my '10 JKU. When I go to attach the header to the front, it won't latch...too short. I attached the spring on the lowest hole on the bow. Should I move it up to the middle hole. Can anyone chime in? Thanks.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Take pictures and you will receive the help. Not everyone has an aftermarket top....
Old 05-12-2012, 08:18 PM
JK Freak

Don't know how the weather is up there but the best time to install fabric tops is in warm temperature.. it allows the fabric to soften and stretch.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:43 PM
JK Newbie

Did you try to latch after you installed the rear sails? (I made that mistake just last night - lol) If so, remove the windows and undo the sails THEN latch the front bar. You can pull down on the four bar to reattach the sails, then reattach the windows and that should work!
Old 05-12-2012, 09:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally didn't realize that you have to pull the handle back (away from the hook part) for the hook to extend out some (bout and inch). After a call to customer support they got me straighten out. Looking back that was sort of obvious. Maybe I should have started this "I know a friend who"?
Old 05-12-2012, 09:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BobCav
Did you try to latch after you installed the rear sails? (I made that mistake just last night - lol) If so, remove the windows and undo the sails THEN latch the front bar. You can pull down on the four bar to reattach the sails, then reattach the windows and that should work!
This is very true on the OEM top. I pulled a muscle in my neck trying to latch the sunrider section back down. Had to strip it down and start from the front again.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rooster76
I personally didn't realize that you have to pull the handle back (away from the hook part) for the hook to extend out some (bout and inch). After a call to customer support they got me straighten out. Looking back that was sort of obvious. Maybe I should have started this "I know a friend who"?
Rooster, you hit the nail on the head....I felt pretty silly once I realized it. Thanks very much!

That top was tough to install...Thank God it's a one time deal.
Old 07-02-2022, 02:50 PM
JK Newbie

Talking found my solution to this problem!

So I was having the exact same issue. Last year at the end of the summer season I got one of these soft tops for my 2012 JK. i flipped the top down only once only over the seats. I went to put it back on and found it was about an inch too short. A friend on mine and I spent 30 minutes muscling it back on. We figured must just need to stretch? So a year later same thing. I only flipped the top down and same issue couldn't get it back on. Again muscled it back on. At the end we all realized the clips extend further when pushed up so I figured I had solved it. NOPE same thing next time even when extending the clips! So I put it under cover for the night to calm myself down and start fresh the next day. I read this thread and tried everything, the heater blaring , the super hot day, the clips extended. Nothing worked. So I decided to take the whole thing off and windows etc. to start from square one. So once I got it all off and went to put it back on I pushed up on 5 and 6 bar or 4 and 5 whatever the last two are and found that one side was not clicking and latching properly. I had to push with a good heave and got them to engage so I did it a few times and then pushed the top up and voila it clipped just fine. So my issue was that somehow those rear bars were disengaged and it was giving the whole thing slack and would not reach clips.

Quick Reply: My soft top header won't latch!!!