Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Navigation Map Quality

Old 12-18-2013, 10:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default frog

I like the frog one, that looks cool!
Old 12-18-2013, 10:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by White Ghost
I was asking if the actual map update was worth it.
Depends on how you quantify "worth it", and on what version of the software you are running - the older versions of the software have the kindergarden looking maps, while the newer version of the software has a more mature, for lack of a better word, looking maps - I can't speak to the older version and whether it had the Junction View function while navigating, but the newer version of the software does.
Keep in mind part of the update is the Garmin software, not specifically the maps themselves (i.e. street inclusion, accuracy etc.), but rather how the map is displayed, nag calculation etc..
You can pay Garmin for the maps - I don't, I use small Garmin device that came with lifetime map updates, download, and use those NT NA files on a thumb drive to update the MyGig (Supposedly 50.x.x kills this ability - so update map prior).

If you do get a hold of the files (i.e. Garmin City Navigator 2014.20 NT)

just copy to a thumb drive with the following directory structure:

X:\Garmin\gmapprom.img (Garmin Map Update)
X:\Garmin\JCV\D3060110A.jcv (Full Screen Junction View File)

Did get a little off track on the thread, but the software update does tie back into the map update/view quality.. Suppose even if you did not have to shell out any cash for the updates, you could still ask if it was worth it - just because of the headaches of getting the system updated...
Old 12-18-2013, 02:12 PM
JK Freak

I am a little lost I guess I have a 2012 and it says the maps out of date and it sends me the wrong direction sometimes that's why I use google on my phone as well. Just wondering if the update gave better directions.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default garmin update

so does that mydrive site have the new map updates for the 430 radios Ive been wondering if it is worth it to purchase from Garmin. I purchased it in 2011 and it still looks like a child drew it. It still had to me make a left to get a on exit that changed to a right a few years ago.
Don't want to buy if its not worth it. Anybody have a 2013 update disc they want to sell or a copy on a thumb drive?
thanks Dave
Old 12-19-2013, 12:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by White Ghost
I am a little lost I guess I have a 2012 and it says the maps out of date and it sends me the wrong direction sometimes that's why I use google on my phone as well. Just wondering if the update gave better directions.
I would assume from a calculation standpoint - I have not had an issue with directions; I have the newer software and never noticed any navigation errors - obviously if your maps are out of date then that would make BIG difference, but the calculation run by the software has always seemed accurate - even when using avoidances (toll roads, HOV, etc..).

Sounds to me like you just need to update your maps..
Old 12-19-2013, 12:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Krumby
so does that mydrive site have the new map updates for the 430 radios Ive been wondering if it is worth it to purchase from Garmin. I purchased it in 2011 and it still looks like a child drew it. It still had to me make a left to get a on exit that changed to a right a few years ago.
Don't want to buy if its not worth it. Anybody have a 2013 update disc they want to sell or a copy on a thumb drive?
thanks Dave
NO, it is only the system software updates - changes the look of the system and the map display (so it does not look like crayon), but it does not update the maps, just the Garmin software.

Not in any way advocating, but if you do some searching on Google I am sure you can find a copy of the maps with out having to purchase..

Quick Reply: Navigation Map Quality