Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Need help diagnosing this noise

Old 02-10-2014, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Undercarrige squeak! Need help diagnosing this noise

Ok guys...I've searched and searched and I thought I had this ridiculous noise narrowed down to the "water pump chirp" .. So, I finally got around to changing the water pump and low and behold, the noise persists!! I now think it is somewhere in the undercarriage and it sounds like it's closer to the front, but the acoustics make it difficult to tell.

Could some of you knowledgeable fellers take a listen and give me some thoughts? I'm at a loss. It's quite annoying and concerning me now that it appears to be drive train related. Thanks in advance!!

Here is the link: jeep jk noise in the undercarriage - YouTube

Here's another of the noise... video didn't show up for some reason, but you can hear it better http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hql83...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by ouroborus2012; 02-10-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't hear anything other than exhaust... Although it does sound like it's leaking pretty badly form somewhere and not coming from a tail-pipe.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

You can't hear that squeaking noise? It's a bit overwhelming because my mic is picking up everything going on, but listen for a chirping/squeak noise... I'm adding a second video, maybe it's a little easier to hear

Last edited by ouroborus2012; 02-10-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default i hear it !

id spray some wd 40 or lubricant on the idler pully see if it goes away sounds like dry pully wheel

lol after second video id say no not the idler pully sounds like tranny issue id climb under there undo the top bolt and see if you have proper fluid in tranny

Last edited by jeepmojo; 02-10-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
id spray some wd 40 or lubricant on the idler pully see if it goes away sounds like dry pully wheel

lol after second video id say no not the idler pully sounds like tranny issue id climb under there undo the top bolt and see if you have proper fluid in tranny
I think tranny also... But, I have no clue how to do that, lol ... looking up vids now
Old 02-10-2014, 12:19 PM
JK Freak

Seems to change with engine RPM so it's not the transmission. Also you need to be careful spraying WD40 around as it will deteriorate many rubber parts.

I would look into the belt pulleys/idlers.

What does it sound like from the hood? It would be nice to hear the front of the engine without the exhaust noise.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:20 PM
JK Junkie

youl see a big hex head under the tranny then go up from there on passengers side up high youl see a 14mm hex head I think it is and undo that and put your finger in there see if you feel the level is up to top is should be at that height as the bolt
Old 02-10-2014, 12:23 PM
JK Junkie

Default tranny fly wheel speeds up too with acceleration

Originally Posted by jnabird333
Seems to change with engine RPM so it's not the transmission. Also you need to be careful spraying WD40 around as it will deteriorate many rubber parts.

I would look into the belt pulleys/idlers.

What does it sound like from the hood? It would be nice to hear the front of the engine without the exhaust noise.

that's obvious your transmission dosent stay at idle speed the sound of metal sheering off almost sounds that of a u joint in driveshaft before it falls out lol but I still think tranny

Last edited by jeepmojo; 02-10-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Definitely not a belt or pulley.. From the front, you really can't hear it. On both sides and underneath, it's quite noticeable though
Old 02-10-2014, 12:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
that's obvious your transmission dosent stay at idle speed
yes, but the noise doesn't have a consistent sound. it's kinda a whoosh-whoosh-whoooooosh. Since the flex plate is round it would have a consistent frequency. it needs to be something that changes with RPM but doesn't run at the same RPM... Thus my belt thought.

Quick Reply: Need help diagnosing this noise