Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Need Help Identifying

Old 04-13-2013, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Identifying

Hey guys...I'm out on the trail today and heard a thumping sound under the carriage. I stopped to inspect and found a tube disconnected. I'm unsure how long it's been disconnected, but it was. I'm not sure what it is and I'm hoping someone can let me know. I'm attaching 2 pics to identify it:

First pic is of the tube coming out of the engine compartment down into the font driver side wheel well. It's the left tube in the pic.

The second pic is where that tube connects into the from axel about 8 inches forward from the first pic.

There's no warning lights on. And the Jeep is running fine as far as I can tell. I don't think the thump I heard is at all related, but it was what led me to finding the disconnected tube.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2987237689.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	446480   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4056705468.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	446481  
Old 04-13-2013, 12:40 PM
JK Newbie

Looks like your breather tube for the axle. If it was disconnected, just check your fluid to make sure nothing got inside housing.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ignorant question, but what fluid and where. Ha!
Old 04-13-2013, 04:10 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Desert Snow
Ignorant question, but what fluid and where. Ha!
Here are some pics for reference. The fluid is "Gear Oil". If you were offroading/fording thru muddy water while that hose was disconnected you need to check if water got in your axle. If it did you would have to drain & refill. If not then all you have to do is make sure you still have enough fluid in there. If not just refill it with gear oil...

Old 04-13-2013, 09:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies. It's definitely appreciated.

I'm unsure when the disconnect occurred and I've been through a good deal of mud in the last month. Tomorrow, I'll drain and refill. Thanks again.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seeing all the dirt and mud on your undercarriage, I think you will need more than a simple drain and refill. You're going to need to pull the cover and completely clean everything inside the housing. Go to the auto parts store and grab a big can of non-chlorinated brake cleaner. Use that to spray everything down. Don't be afraid to use too much. It may take the whole can, but you need to make sure you get all the dirt and debris out of there. Once it's clean, let the residual cleaner evaporate for 10-15 minutes. Then reseal the cover and you're done. It's not a difficult job, but a lot more involved than a drain and fill. Unfortunately it NEEDS to be done.

Quick Reply: Need Help Identifying