Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

New Engine just put in my 2014 JK

Old 08-16-2016, 12:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Engine just put in my 2014 JK

The Dealer said it won't hurt my New Engine to run it at 70 mph right when I pick it up. I'll be driving 700 miles back home. What do y'all think?
Old 08-16-2016, 03:47 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I would vary rpms a bit for the first 500 miles but I drove my new 14 over 70 when I bought and that was 50000 miles ago. Use your shifter to vary rpms and you should be fine. I have had over 20 new vehicles and never babied them and none have ever burned oil pr given me any trouble.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:56 AM
JK Freak

Having been a service advisor for a bit, I honestly don't believe it hurts the engie to run it how you're planning to drive it on a daily basis. Most are computer controlled these days and the ECU "learns" based on your driving style. Is running it at 70 mph going to hurt it? No. It should be perfectly fine. It's not so much speed that you should be concerned about anyway. For me at least, when I get a new vehicle/engine, I have no issues driving it at speed. But I try to be fairly easy on acceleration for the first 500 miles. In other words....no drag racing from stop lights. But I certainly haven't babied them, either, and now on Chrysler vheicle #4 ('16 Ram 1500 5.7 4x4) I have yet to have any sort of engine issues at all. The only vehivle I've ever had an engine issue with was a 2003 Nissan Sentra Spec-V that I had. And it had to have the engine replaced as per a tech bulletin. Basically a nut on the throttle body lossened up and fell into the throttle body itself, which in turn bounced around inside the # 3 cylinder. 24k miles at that point. Gotta love warranty.

So short answer.....drive it how you're going to after break-in. Just be ginger on the throttle for the first 500 miles.

Last edited by SH0RTBUS; 08-16-2016 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:49 AM
JK Junkie

^^^ What RubiBus said, good advice.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Think about it, what is the first thing someone does when they test drive a vehicle? Jump in it and find the nearest highway on ramp and put the skinny pedal to the floor.

At least thats what I do...
Old 08-19-2016, 01:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RubiBus
The only vehivle I've ever had an engine issue with was a 2003 Nissan Sentra Spec-V that I had. And it had to have the engine replaced as per a tech bulletin. Basically a nut on the throttle body lossened up and fell into the throttle body itself, which in turn bounced around inside the # 3 cylinder. 24k miles at that point. Gotta love warranty.

So short answer.....drive it how you're going to after break-in. Just be ginger on the throttle for the first 500 miles.
Off subject but...

The "well known butterfly screws" on the secondary intake I took care of mine early ( also had an '03) with loctite, and the spec still is going strong at the hands of an x-coworker I sold it to, 2 years ago. I did love that econobox, fun car, especially for 17K!

Quick Reply: New Engine just put in my 2014 JK