Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

New Jeep Break In Advice

Old 11-08-2011, 08:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Copied from a previous post:

"The manual says drive it "moderately" the first 300, after the 1st 60 miles 50 or 55 MPH is desirable. While cruising, brief full throttle acceleration contribute to good break-in. Avoid full throttle in low gear.

I had to drive home via freeway when new. I varied the speed and manually went to 4th gear just to vary everything. 45 or 50 was the slowest, 65 or 70 was the fastest. I jumped off the freeway and came to a complete stop a couple times along the way. I was at 70 or 75 miles when I got home. The last 5 were "easy on it" city miles.

From from 70 or 75 miles till 300 miles, I ran the rpms up a few times to 5K or so. It ran great, had pull, wanted to go.

From 300 till 1,000 miles I just drove it "normal", for me that means 15.5 MPG, my foot is in it and mostly around town.

I felt no difference between 300 miles and 1,000 miles, ran strong, now w/almost 1,400 I still don't feel any difference.

I think it was done w/break-in at 300 miles, like the book says and I'm not surprised, anything now-a-days should be seated and done by 300 miles.

If it's not, I'll be surprised a thousand miles from now.

ETA: rubi w/4.10 "

still runs the same - great!!

Last edited by 03fatboy; 11-08-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 03fatboy
Copied from a previous post:

"The manual says drive it "moderately" the first 300, after the 1st 60 miles 50 or 55 MPH is desirable. While cruising, brief full throttle acceleration contribute to good break-in. Avoid full throttle in low gear.

I had to drive home via freeway when new. I varied the speed and manually went to 4th gear just to vary everything. 45 or 50 was the slowest, 65 or 70 was the fastest. I jumped off the freeway and came to a complete stop a couple times along the way. I was at 70 or 75 miles when I got home. The last 5 were "easy on it" city miles.

From from 70 or 75 miles till 300 miles, I ran the rpms up a few times to 5K or so. It ran great, had pull, wanted to go.

From 300 till 1,000 miles I just drove it "normal", for me that means 15.5 MPG, my foot is in it and mostly around town.

I felt no difference between 300 miles and 1,000 miles, ran strong, now w/almost 1,400 I still don't feel any difference.

I think it was done w/break-in at 300 miles, like the book says and I'm not surprised, anything now-a-days should be seated and done by 300 miles.

If it's not, I'll be surprised a thousand miles from now.

ETA: rubi w/4.10 "

still runs the same - great!!
Very informative. I'm going to have to give it some gas just so I know what it can do, but I'm pretty light-footed. Too many tickets in the teenage years as a cause for that!

I haven't had the opportunity to read the manual yet. I'm sitting at the dealer starting at the JEEP at this moment.

Thanks everyone.
(even the , wouldn't be a forum without some!)

Last edited by Jeepinstein; 11-08-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:34 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jeepinstein

Very informative. I'm going to have to give it some gas just so I know what it can do, but I'm pretty light-footed. Too many tickets in the teenage years as a cause for that!

I haven't had the opportunity to read the manual yet. I'm sitting at the dealer starting at the car at this moment.

Thanks everyone.
(even the , wouldn't be a forum without some!)
Everything everyone is saying is right... One thing you'll find out, DON'T call her a car. She's a Jeep. Nothing else...
Old 11-08-2011, 09:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DirtyDi

Everything everyone is saying is right... One thing you'll find out, DON'T call her a car. She's a Jeep. Nothing else...
Whoops. I know that rule too... Tsk tsk to me.

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 11-08-2011, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

hxxp://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm, read this its awesome....
Old 11-08-2011, 08:01 PM
JK Newbie

Lift kit and tires when money comes in. That's a must!

I can't help but take this motor up high ever once in awhile too. Very peppy after coming from my I6 4.0 in my grand cherokee.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeepinstein
Lift kit and tires when money comes in. That's a must!

I can't help but take this motor up high ever once in awhile too. Very peppy after coming from my I6 4.0 in my grand cherokee.
Congrats on the new Jeep! I am like you and constantly find myself in the higher RPM's. I also found myself power braking the other day and found that simply beautiful. A stock Jeep burning off a set of 32" mud terrains. I never thought I would see the day
Old 11-10-2011, 12:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by deathboyardee

Congrats on the new Jeep! I am like you and constantly find myself in the higher RPM's. I also found myself power braking the other day and found that simply beautiful. A stock Jeep burning off a set of 32" mud terrains. I never thought I would see the day
Thanks! She's a beauty, and I just can't get enough either. Made a few friends jealous in the process..lol

There is enough power to satisfy, that's for sure!

Quick Reply: New Jeep Break In Advice