Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Jeep Owner/ECO mode

Old 03-21-2010, 09:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The hour meter on vehicles is for one reason but I guess it could be used for anything you could think to use it for. It was meant to tell someone how much actual driving time it took during a long trip since it only counts time while the engine is running. If you stop to eat or take a rest it stops counting time (as long as you shut the engine off every time).
Old 03-21-2010, 10:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

How do you turn the damn ET off completely? I can easily reset it to zero, but then it just starts over and continues. It's bothering the hell out of me. :(
Old 03-21-2010, 10:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Depending on the use of the jeep an resetable hr meter is ok. The work van sits and idles more then it drives so the oil is changed by the hrs not milage. ( airports are not very big and broken airplanes cost more then the gas that is use) but if you are not using it for that the only other thing could be for traveling. But I don't think it really makes a big difference the trip takes as long as it takes and I count the time I'm eating and gassing up for the total trip.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan L
How do you turn the damn ET off completely? I can easily reset it to zero, but then it just starts over and continues. It's bothering the hell out of me. :(
I don't think you can turn it off but you don't have to look at it. Change it to read out the compass or mpg...
Old 03-23-2010, 03:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

It Made Somebody Happy..........
Old 03-23-2010, 04:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine should have a light that says ECO NOT!
Old 04-02-2010, 07:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SlightlySubliminal
I have done some experimenting since yesterday and I too have found the only time it comes off is when I take my foot off the accelerator. It's almost like a built in joke. Thanks Jeep!!
I'm less amused, but I agree, it does appear to be a joke (as described by the manual, anyhow).

I was testing it this morning on a downhill stretch of the canyon road where I can just about coast and maintain speed at 40mph in neutral. I had the jeep in 6th with RPMs reading about 1100. When my foot was off the gas, I had "ECO on". The slightest touch to the gas pedal, however, read "ECO" (off). If 40mph in 6th @ 1100 RPM with almost no gas isn't "economy" driving, I don't know what is.

Random guesses on another forum said that it indicated a gas shutoff to the engine that's only active when idling. I'd be interested if someone with more knowledge about engines and this indicator had any input on it.

As it is, I do like to try to drive economically when not having fun, but this indication is truly useless towards that end and I'll be leaving it on another view.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:33 AM
JK Newbie

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Phrogz
Random guesses on another forum said that it indicated a gas shutoff to the engine that's only active when idling. I'd be interested if someone with more knowledge about engines and this indicator had any input on it.
Actually found a link to the answer on another thread in this forum.

This page on Chrysler's site calls the indication generically the Fuel Saver Indicator (FSI), including an accurate portrayal of the indicator on the JK. The page says:

The Fuel Saver Indicator (FSI) is expected to provide better fuel economy feedback to guide customers to drive more fuel efficiently by advising them:
  • When the powertrain is in the economy target zone
  • When they have reached the fuel saver mode target range
  • Helps consumers adapt to a better driving style to help improve fuel economy and save money
So that's basically what the manual describes. However...

Lower on that same page it mentions a wholly separate piece of tech called "Interactive Decel Fuel Shut-Off (iDFSO)". According to that page, this was phased in on the 2009 Wrangler with 6-speed manual transmission, and is available on the 2010 Wrangler with 4-speed automatic transmission. It is described as:

Interactive Decel Fuel Shut-Off (iDFSO) is a software feature that expands opportunities for turning off fuel to the engine during deceleration events thereby improving fuel economy. The amount of fuel shut-off can be increased by keeping the engine speeds high enough (with fuel off) to prevent need for fuel rewet.
  • Improves both city and highway fuel economy
  • Fuel Saver Indicator Light will illuminate when iDFSO is active
So it seems that FSI is overloaded with iDFSO. Unless I'm missing some complex interplay between the two, apparently FSI no longer indicates economy mode, but iDFSO.

Last edited by Phrogz; 04-02-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:05 AM
JK Newbie

The "eco" meters seem to be the new thing lately. We also have a new 2010 Outback wagon, and it has an actual analog "eco" gauge in the cluster. Basically if you drive it gently and accelerate lightly the gauge stays on the green end, but if you floor it, it goes to the red end. I think all its there for is to try and get people aware of their driving habits vs the real-time fuel usage. Its an idiot light/gauge, effectively...

Last edited by Mudflap; 04-02-2010 at 11:19 AM.

Quick Reply: New Jeep Owner/ECO mode