Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Jeep wont start

Old 08-02-2017, 08:14 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Now you got some options. Deal with headache of taking it to the dealer who will replace the battery under warranty. You can then feel somewhat confident for about the next 2 years, when it can leave you suddenly stranded. Or, you can go spend about $125 on the best battery Walmart has and be confident that it won't fail for at least 5 years.
LOL, ain't that the truth. 2 years like clockwork. Sux to buy a brand new vehicle and then be in it for a new battery, but honestly, I'd lean towards just buying something good. Every one I've seen die at 2 years (myself and several buddies) have had little to no warning at all.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:43 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
LOL, ain't that the truth. 2 years like clockwork. Sux to buy a brand new vehicle and then be in it for a new battery, but honestly, I'd lean towards just buying something good. Every one I've seen die at 2 years (myself and several buddies) have had little to no warning at all.
I can attest to having seen this, too. If money isn't an issue, OP would be a lot better off with a battery that he trusts if he gets out there into the remote places some of us do. If money is an issue, let the dealer deal with it. You'll have yet another new battery just before the warranty expires, if my experience is any indication.

Having written that, even quality batteries are not immune to the abuses that they go through during our off-road adventures. A $250 AGM cell battery barely a year old--almost to the Arctic Circle with 700 miles to go before replacement would be possible ...

11:14 if not forwarded automatically ...
https://youtu.be/0Eyq1klfCkI?list=PLNmyT4ZqfdQmBSNAXSfR8OG9jIeB94XTz&t=674
Old 08-02-2017, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh I have no intention of going to the dealer, which is an hour away, I will just purchase a new good quality battery. Its a group 91 correct?

Last edited by akguy09; 08-02-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I don't remember the size. Mine died about 3 years ago in my 2012 and I replaced it with a Walmart maxx everstart for around $125. I have been very happy over the last 15 yrs or so with Walmart batteries. I've never have one fail before 5 yrs old. They have a 3 yr full replacement guarantee.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I can attest to having seen this, too. If money isn't an issue, OP would be a lot better off with a battery that he trusts if he gets out there into the remote places some of us do. If money is an issue, let the dealer deal with it. You'll have yet another new battery just before the warranty expires, if my experience is any indication.

Having written that, even quality batteries are not immune to the abuses that they go through during our off-road adventures. A $250 AGM cell battery barely a year old--almost to the Arctic Circle with 700 miles to go before replacement would be possible ...

11:14 if not forwarded automatically ...
https://youtu.be/0Eyq1klfCkI?list=PLNmyT4ZqfdQmBSNAXSfR8OG9jIeB94XTz&t=674

I lived in the interior of Alaska for 16 years, just moved to Colorado 6 months ago. I can say those roads are brutal on vehicles.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did anything have to be disconnected off the hardtop
rear wriper or defroster
Old 08-03-2017, 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tramp
did anything have to be disconnected off the hardtop
rear wriper or defroster
Yes the defroster and wiper are on the same connector, and the washer hose, both must be disconnected to take the top off.

That should have no effect, also I removed the batter from the Jeep and charged it to 12.9 volts, it sat all night and this morning it was at 11.3 volts not connected to anything, the battery is definately bad. I will be purchasing a new one tonight
Old 08-03-2017, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by akguy09
I have a '17 2dr JK 6spd. I love this jeep it replaced my '77 CJ-7 so the upgrade was amazing. It has 735 miles on it, so Sunday the wife and I take the Hardtop off, Monday morning go to leave for work and click but no start, all lights work. Battery tests 11.3 volts, charged for 3 hours on Monday night@ 10amp setting. Battery shows 12.99 volts when I go to bed. Tuesday Morning go to start, click no start, all lights work. I have had a chance to test the voltage yet as I am at work. Something is killing the battery quickly and all I did was remove the hardtop and install a Bikini top and duster top. I am at a loss.
Do the new Jeeps have a floor mat sensor😋
Old 08-03-2017, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

My CJ-7 didnt even have carpet, I was surprised to see floormats in the '17 JK
Old 08-06-2017, 11:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

change the batt, that it. the water level is low in ur batt.

Quick Reply: New Jeep wont start