Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

new jk owner with top questions

Old 08-25-2012, 12:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new jk owner with top questions

Well I sold my Xterra and picked up a 2012 jk with a softtop. I want to get a hardtop in the future and am wondering if I'll need additional mounting hardware aside from the bolts etc.

Impressions: love the 6 speed and luckily no gear pop out issues. Power is nice even with slightly less torque than my 06 Xterra had. Love the interior and controls. Softop is leaking a little in driver floor not sure where its coming from but I anticipated this.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:36 PM
JK Newbie

You shouldn't need anymore hardware other than what comes with the hardtop. You'll have to take off the plastic window surrounds from the soft top. Not a big deal tho.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had been exploring this option as mine had the soft top too. I do believe if you want the windshield wiper to work and the rear defroster to work you will also need a hardtop wiring harness.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What you need to get the rear wiper to work

Originally Posted by ccuchris
I had been exploring this option as mine had the soft top too. I do believe if you want the windshield wiper to work and the rear defroster to work you will also need a hardtop wiring harness.
Here is what he's talking about

For 7-10 JK's-> MOPAR 82210215AG - MOPAR® Hardtop Wiring Kit for 07-10 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with OE MOPAR® Hardtop & AC - Quadratec

11-12 JK-> MOPAR 82212859 - MOPAR® Hardtop Wiring Kit for 11-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with OE MOPAR® Hardtop & without Heated Mirrors - Quadratec

If you look at the directions to get it to work you need to have a dealer do some stuff to get the computer updated with starScan.

Quick Reply: new jk owner with top questions