Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

New JK unlimited

Old 09-02-2008, 04:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New JK unlimited

I'm new to the site and I just picked up a black unlimited . Has anyone added a trailer hitch. Looks like an easy bolt on . I'm just courious about the wiring. It is the one option that it didn't have.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:42 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Get the factory harness from Mopar. It's a REAL easy install. All you have to do is remove the driver's side tail light assembly.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:41 PM
Zee
JK Freak

The 4 pin is very easy to install, hopefully you don;t need the 7 pin, that is a total pain.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I bought the hidden hitch version and was a 20 min install. And that is taking off the stock tow hook. It does stick out about 4" from the bumper though but I was looking for that so I didn't have to buy an extension incase I want to do a bike rack or portable winch.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

girlfriend just placed the order for a rugged ridge hitch for my bday. if you have any mechanical inclinations, it will be a breeze.

the harness i passed on right now, havent decided which one (4 or 7) i want. Am thinking of doing both, so whatever trailer i pull i can accomadate (sp?).
Old 09-03-2008, 11:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2008 had the hitch on it when I bought it.
My Thule swing away bike rack is great!
It comes with a lock for the rack and a cable lock for the bikes, they use the same key.
Goes in to the reciver easy, it comes with a threaded pin/lock, a wrench is required to screw it in to the post.
It ran about $400.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Apostle
girlfriend just placed the order for a rugged ridge hitch for my bday. if you have any mechanical inclinations, it will be a breeze.

the harness i passed on right now, havent decided which one (4 or 7) i want. Am thinking of doing both, so whatever trailer i pull i can accomadate (sp?).
it sounds like you actually don't pull anything, I tow three different trailers, I always keep the 4 pin, you can always buy an adapter from 4 to 7, anyway I don't think the jk is that great pulling anything that would require breaks. so I think the 4 pin is good.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:43 PM
JK Freak

So if I don't get the factory harnes Is the wiring easy to hook up ??

Looks like the wireing is in the drivers tail light.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I bought the Curt hitch. I read in another post that it was a class rated hitch unlike the Rugged Ridge hitch. Had no problem installing it. Took less than 20 minutes.
Have only used it for my bike rack, so haven't done the wiring kit yet.
If I tow any thing it will be a light kayak trailer.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:31 PM
JK Freak

i needed a rear hitch for a weekend wheeling trip so i went to Qtec and got the hidden hitch bolt on model. all was going well until i got to the fourth bolt when i noticed it wasnt threading. i removed the hitch, then the rear bumper and noticed that where there should have been a hole for the bolt to go through.... nothing.

long story short... 5 minutes with a 1/2" drill bit, i mounted the hitch.

all that aside, it was simple.

Quick Reply: New JK unlimited