Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

new key question

Old 04-29-2015, 10:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new key question

I have a 2011 wrangler and have lost the keys. its a sport with no factory options, meaning no buttons on the key. where is the best place to get a new key? not trying to spend a ton of money at the stealership.
thanks
Old 04-29-2015, 10:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interested as well
I dropped one key in the water at the marina last week (i'm an idiot)
Old 04-29-2015, 12:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have no keys to your Jeep, you are going to have to get them from the dealership. Normally they are going to want VIN and a title to prove you are the owner of the vehicle.

If you have a key, you can buy blanks online (Amazon, eBay, etc). Then you need to find a place that will cut the key. Can't use those "auto" key cutting machines, got to find someone that has the old style cutter. No matter your options, all JK's require a chipped key to start the Jeep. So just a cut key will unlock the doors, but won't start. Only place to get the key programmed is the dealership. UNLESS you have 2 working and programmed keys. If you have 2 working programmed keys, you can program a 3rd following the steps in the owners manual.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:36 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I was at a locksmith a month ago getting the new switchblades I bought off ebay cut, and he mentioned that he could send my VIN in and get the key codes to program with. I didn't need this since the switchblades are just shells that I was swapping guts into, but it may be worth a few calls to to check.

And when you get those two taken care of - buy a few extra, program them yourself, and store them somewhere!!

Quick Reply: new key question