Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

new member questions: 4wd and axel lock

Old 12-17-2007, 08:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new member questions: 4wd and axel lock

Hi everyone,

So glad I found this forum! I've been reading it the past few days and have learned alot already. However, I do have 2 quick questions.

1) When in 4-hi, the jeep feels "jerky" and kind of unresponsive when I'm in first gear or when reversing...most noticeable if I have the wheels turned...is this normal?

2) When I press the axel lock button in 4-hi, the icons flash....but when in 4-lo, the icons are steady....is it NOT locked when its flasing?

Thanks alot guys!
Old 12-17-2007, 08:03 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Amanda08JK
Hi everyone,

So glad I found this forum! I've been reading it the past few days and have learned alot already. However, I do have 2 quick questions.

1) When in 4-hi, the jeep feels "jerky" and kind of unresponsive when I'm in first gear or when reversing...most noticeable if I have the wheels turned...is this normal?

2) When I press the axel lock button in 4-hi, the icons flash....but when in 4-lo, the icons are steady....is it NOT locked when its flasing?

Thanks alot guys!
Let me say welcome to the forum! You'll need to find a pic of your jeep and post it as well...

For your first question... Are you talking when your tires are turned, or when driving in straight line. If while turned, yes, this is typical in most all 4 wheel drive vehicles. If in straight line, I'd say no, its not normal. Anyone else want to chime in on this?

For your 2nd question.... I'll let someone else answer this, I'm not sure.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the site.

The Jerky feeling is normal when turning while in 4wd. The lockers are not engaged when the light is flashing, they only engage when you are in 4-lo.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, but I have to ask. You aren't trying your 4X on dry pavement are you? That breaks things. Secondly, I'm pretty sure your lockers are set up to not engage unless you're in 4LO
Old 12-17-2007, 09:24 AM
JK Freak

first ....DO NOT DRIVE in 4HI in dry pavement
actually its not great even in heavy rain that's why its called part-time 4wd (not so sure about the heavy rain) I only use it when I am off-road ...

Second ... the axle lock only works in 4low (stock but.. there is a way around that)

Welcome to the forum you will learn everything you need to know here
Old 12-17-2007, 09:32 AM
JK Newbie

It is actually my dad's jeep that I get to play with when I'm home from college...I didn't get into all this until recently when a friend of mine brought me on some trails up in Buffalo NY.

I always thought it was just "put it in drive and go"....until I found out about all the technical stuff from a guy friend of mine and this website....

OK...so no more driving in 4wd when on dry pavement. Thank you for that tip. I had NO idea. I am trying my best to learn about cars in general!

And thank you for letting me know that lockers do not engage unless in 4-low!
Old 12-17-2007, 09:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by miguelylucy
first ....DO NOT DRIVE in 4HI in dry pavement
:
Beat me to it by 10 minutes......

Quick Reply: new member questions: 4wd and axel lock