Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

New Re-Furbished Engine leak

Old 02-13-2018, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts
Default New Re-Furbished Engine leak

My friend has the lifetime powertrian warranty. Major engine issue and dealer says they will put in new engine (refurbished) under warranty. He gets the vehicle back and climbs under only to see an oil leak. It looks to me like the classic rear main seal. I had mine replaced under lifetime powertrain warranty a few years back so Im pretty sure I can spot it. How can the rear main seal be leaking if they just put in a new engine? He brings it back to the dealer and they said its just leftover oil from putting in new engine. They did a dye test and it came back without showing anything. Either the gasket wasnt replaced, was and is incorrect or there is an oil leak from somewhere else? Pics coming from my phone.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Pic 1 was after he picked it up. Pick 2 was after he wiped it. Pic 3 was after driving for 20 miles.

Last edited by EHarris; 02-13-2018 at 03:23 PM. Reason: images didn't attach from phone app
Old 02-13-2018, 04:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to agree with them that it is likely leftover oil after replacing the engine. That would happen even after changing the oil pan gasket. Best way to tell is to spray it down with brake cleaner and let dry two or three times and see if oil still shows up after that.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

If they added dye to the oil I'm assuming it would still be in there. Could a simple specialty light be used to keep an eye on it?
Old 02-20-2018, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

update: Since they looked at the vehicle it's bone dry underneath. Even still for it to be leaking that badly to stain my buddies brand new driveway seems to me like sloppy work. Correct me if im wrong on that one but it was a decent amount of oil and my rear main seal didn't leak oil when they replaced it a few years back.

Quick Reply: New Re-Furbished Engine leak