Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

New recall-2010/2011 POWER TRAIN:AXLE ASSEMBLY

Old 03-05-2011, 03:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if this had anything to do with the Jeep/UAW workers who were regularly getting high and drunk during their lunch break?
Old 03-05-2011, 08:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Good luck to those caught up in this recall! First thing that occurred to me was 20,459 cases of Death Wobble waiting to happen. Second was 20,459 front track bar brackets with now oval bolt holes. Hope I am wrong on both counts.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmorejeep08
That is just down right scary. Wonder what other various torque settings could be effected by something like this. Close your eyes for a second and try to guesstimate how many items on a Jeep that are torqued.
this many.......

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...orque-settings

My guess about a calibration error is only because they seem to have caught the problem before it showed up as forum posts like "why are bolts falling off my jeep?" or "dropped an axle today"

let's hope no one gets hurt
Old 03-06-2011, 08:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Does anyone know which nineteen are supposed to be torqued?
Old 03-07-2011, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

It has something to do with Dana changing their paint process, here is a link to the letter.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/do...1V145-9406.pdf
Old 03-07-2011, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Arrow

To be fair, it does not seem to be a bad issue. According to the letter posted via the last member, it has to with Dana , changing their paint standards on their axles, which changes the thickness as the letter mentioned. Not really a big deal when you look at it.

Also , let's remember that when Toyota had all their recalls and safety issues, those workers were not UAW Workers. Mamangement played a big part in those issues as well as the workers. I am not a UAW Worker or work in the auto field, but blaming UAW Workers for every recall is not nice either. Toyota does not pay their workers any near what the UAW Workers get, and it was said many years ago that management was in full control of Toyota and it's workers, and look what happened, many safety issues, recalls, a total failure on Toyota's part. Plus A compnay like Toyota who does not pay their workers competive salaries and benefits, still charges the same or even more for the same vehicle as a auto company who has UAW Workers working for them. Where is the money going, that they are saving by hiring non union workers, Def not going to building a quality product. The CEO of Toyota opendly admitted to loosing quality control and just relying on their big name to sell vehicles. So it really does not matter if a company has UAW Workers or not, people make mistakes as long as they so not make a career out of it and learn from what they did wrong is what all matters in the end.

Maybe the Auto Companies can upgrade their quality standards on parts, instead higher management pocketing the money , with their high standard of living. Look at the cheap components on our Wrangler's, Ball Joints, Tranny issues due to cheap parts / 4x4 shifting parts " Plastic" failing, rotors, tranny hoses, etc. Instead of building a upgraded interior in the new 2011 Wrangler, Chrysler should focus on their quality of parts used to build it, especially their trannys , engines, etc. I love my Jeep, but some additional quality in the actual part itself could be a lot better, I am sure most folks on here would agree on that part.

Not targeting anyone specific on what they do for a living at all, it is more of just trying to say that Chrysler is not soo bad when you look at what I am trying to point out. Not trying to be a A$$ in any way, Just trying to express myself in a friendly matter. In order to have a good running company , both Management and Workers need to follow company procedures. Any Management Personnel or Manual Labor Worker "Or other" , equally should be either suspended the first time , fired the next, depending on how serious the situation is at hand, Very simple. There is a fine line between worker / management, if done correctly , both sides can work together very well, and this also makes a worker want to go to school and move up in the company , if not, entry level workers feel they never have a chance or loose interest, which causes issues on how they perform their quality and attitude towards their work.

As a country we need to get back to making things in the states, if not , our future sons and daughters will not be working, " any kind of field" and those companies that went over-seas will be hurting as well that sell their product in the States, no jobs mean no major purchasing, it is already happening.

Sorry for going off target, but it is related to quality control and automotive world in some aspect.

SLIM
Old 03-08-2011, 05:08 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by SLIM_SNOOPY
To be fair, it does not seem to be a bad issue. According to the letter posted via the last member, it has to with Dana , changing their paint standards on their axles, which changes the thickness as the letter mentioned. Not really a big deal when you look at it.

Also , let's remember that when Toyota had all their recalls and safety issues, those workers were not UAW Workers. Mamangement played a big part in those issues as well as the workers. I am not a UAW Worker or work in the auto field, but blaming UAW Workers for every recall is not nice either. Toyota does not pay their workers any near what the UAW Workers get, and it was said many years ago that management was in full control of Toyota and it's workers, and look what happened, many safety issues, recalls, a total failure on Toyota's part. Plus A compnay like Toyota who does not pay their workers competive salaries and benefits, still charges the same or even more for the same vehicle as a auto company who has UAW Workers working for them. Where is the money going, that they are saving by hiring non union workers, Def not going to building a quality product. The CEO of Toyota opendly admitted to loosing quality control and just relying on their big name to sell vehicles. So it really does not matter if a company has UAW Workers or not, people make mistakes as long as they so not make a career out of it and learn from what they did wrong is what all matters in the end.

Maybe the Auto Companies can upgrade their quality standards on parts, instead higher management pocketing the money , with their high standard of living. Look at the cheap components on our Wrangler's, Ball Joints, Tranny issues due to cheap parts / 4x4 shifting parts " Plastic" failing, rotors, tranny hoses, etc. Instead of building a upgraded interior in the new 2011 Wrangler, Chrysler should focus on their quality of parts used to build it, especially their trannys , engines, etc. I love my Jeep, but some additional quality in the actual part itself could be a lot better, I am sure most folks on here would agree on that part.

Not targeting anyone specific on what they do for a living at all, it is more of just trying to say that Chrysler is not soo bad when you look at what I am trying to point out. Not trying to be a A$$ in any way, Just trying to express myself in a friendly matter. In order to have a good running company , both Management and Workers need to follow company procedures. Any Management Personnel or Manual Labor Worker "Or other" , equally should be either suspended the first time , fired the next, depending on how serious the situation is at hand, Very simple. There is a fine line between worker / management, if done correctly , both sides can work together very well, and this also makes a worker want to go to school and move up in the company , if not, entry level workers feel they never have a chance or loose interest, which causes issues on how they perform their quality and attitude towards their work.

As a country we need to get back to making things in the states, if not , our future sons and daughters will not be working, " any kind of field" and those companies that went over-seas will be hurting as well that sell their product in the States, no jobs mean no major purchasing, it is already happening.

Sorry for going off target, but it is related to quality control and automotive world in some aspect.

SLIM
The Toyota thing came out that it was a farce. There was no quality issue, it was morons getting their floor mats stuck on the pedal..

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110208/...toyota_recalls
Old 03-08-2011, 06:03 AM
klf
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
The Toyota thing came out that it was a farce. There was no quality issue, it was morons getting their floor mats stuck on the pedal..

I have to agree with both of you. Toyota is in the clear and it was mostly operator error. And to much stuff gets blamed on the assembly line workers, union or not. The processes are set up by management and if they don't work properly what can the slob on the line do?
Old 03-08-2011, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Arrow

Originally Posted by Hellbound13

That might be true to some point , but Toyota still has rust issues, brake issues and general safety issues that they never had before they started to get cheap and depending on their big name to get them through their new cheap ways. Go to any Toyota Dealership and go to the back of their service bays outside you will find new model Tacoma / FJ Cruiser / Tundra rusted out chasis skeletons siting outside, which have be replaced because it was not safe to drive. There is no reason for a 2007 Tundra to have such severe rusting issues that it needs replacement to the point the body and everything with it must be transffered over to a new chasis. Their vehicles come off the delivery trucks with a high surface rust factor, check under any new Tacoma, no new vehicle should have that. Driver shafts / knuckles, etc, are known but not the entire chasis to the point in 4 years it will need to be replaced, they are buying low end steel or recycled steel that was not mixed correctly with the right balance of minerals and additives.

This is why Toyota is having such issues they never had before, quality in the components installed are just as important as the worker installing it correctly. As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for, but in this case the consumer is paying the top dollar $$$$ for a product that is not even near what the sticker price of the vehicle should be. Everyday folks are getting tired of being hosed down by big companies selling garbage, with the high dollar they want for their products. The typical family does not have the $$$ to put out for a new vehicle every 4-5 years, due to a lot of these vehicles not lastinf like the past generation vehicles where it was possible if maintained correctly to go over 150,000 miles or even more. Still to this date I see Camry's , T-100's, Nissans, older American Cars and Trucksetc on the road from the early 80's with 275,000 miles on them. Still working enough to get to where you need to go, minus the condition of the body pannels,.,,,lol

My main point is that companies need to go back to some quality standards and brng jobs back to the states, when people have no money due to lack of good jobs, products do not sell. It will take a long time for the wheels to get into motion, but at some point it needs to get rolling, our goverment stopped counting how many folks are out of work,, that is including folks with degrees , high expierence , who got layed off due to their job going over-seas etc. America has lost its edge in being the powerful country we use to be, Hopefully over-time we will re-surface.

SLIM

Last edited by SLIM_SNOOPY; 03-08-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:58 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by SLIM_SNOOPY

That might be true to some point , but Toyota still has rust issues, brake issues and general safety issues that they never had before they started to get cheap and depending on their big name to get them through their new cheap ways. Go to any Toyota Dealership and go to the back of their service bays outside you will find new model Tacoma / FJ Cruiser / Tundra rusted out chasis skeletons siting outside, which have be replaced because it was not safe to drive. There is no reason for a 2007 Tundra to have such severe rusting issues that it needs replacement to the point the body and everything with it must be transffered over to a new chasis. Their vehicles come off the delivery trucks with a high surface rust factor, check under any new Tacoma, no new vehicle should have that. Driver shafts / knuckles, etc, are known but not the entire chasis to the point in 4 years it will need to be replaced, they are buying low end steel or recycled steel that was not mixed correctly with the right balance of minerals and additives.

This is why Toyota is having such issues they never had before, quality in the components installed are just as important as the worker installing it correctly. As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for, but in this case the consumer is paying the top dollar $$$$ for a product that is not even near what the sticker price of the vehicle should be. Everyday folks are getting tired of being hosed down by big companies selling garbage, with the high dollar they want for their products. The typical family does not have the $$$ to put out for a new vehicle every 4-5 years, due to a lot of these vehicles not lastinf like the past generation vehicles where it was possible if maintained correctly to go over 150,000 miles or even more. Still to this date I see Camry's , T-100's, Nissans, older American Cars and Trucksetc on the road from the early 80's with 275,000 miles on them. Still working enough to get to where you need to go, minus the condition of the body pannels,.,,,lol

My main point is that companies need to go back to some quality standards and brng jobs back to the states, when people have no money due to lack of good jobs, products do not sell. It will take a long time for the wheels to get into motion, but at some point it needs to get rolling, our goverment stopped counting how many folks are out of work,, that is including folks with degrees , high expierence , who got layed off due to their job going over-seas etc. America has lost its edge in being the powerful country we use to be, Hopefully over-time we will re-surface.

SLIM
Well said I couldn't agree more, but let's not pretend that Chrysler isn't in the same boat with cheap ball joints, cheap steering boxes, thin sheet metal, cheap welds on critical mounts ect..

Quick Reply: New recall-2010/2011 POWER TRAIN:AXLE ASSEMBLY