Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

new rubicon

Old 11-05-2008, 07:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now why, on a short wheelbase vehicle, does everyone blame the tires? Yes, pressure does need to be checked. But might it be as simple as a quick steering short wheelbase vehicle? Stop whinning, It's a Jeep Thing......
Old 11-06-2008, 03:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

My Sahara Did not have the issue so Idid a little looking. when i turn the steering wheel there seems to be some play at top dead center. i checked another 4 door Rubi at the dealer same thing. I am going to have mine looked at. the steering is just not precise and it should be ther should be zero play in the steering. I wonder if they got a bad batch of some part inthe front end or maybe the sterring box. I willlet the dealer deal with this one.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:42 AM
JK Freak

Let us know what you find out.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:16 AM
JK Super Freak

My Rubi is darty too, but it dosent matter if the tires are low or high. It also dosent matter if I am towing a trailor or not.

I just think it wants to leave the highway and play. Its kinda like a dog with its nose out the window.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gonup2
i test drove a new rubicon unlimited and it seem you to have to pay attention to keep it in your lane. was wondering if that the way they are or they had filled the tires with nitrogen and no telling what pressure was in them. maybe to high. and seemed small on driver side by door. maybe just used to driving truck. thanks
if you've never driven a jeep, you would notice this. a jeep is not a car or truck and does not feel like either one. jeeps are the worst vehicles on road, I think we all know that. however, as mentioned before, the jk drives much better than any other wrangler.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Choppus
Let us know what you find out.
Double and triple checked. A trip to the dealer for some comparison. The slight play in Steering box (real small amount ) is normal. Even the Test Reports on the internet indicate the steering wheel play. It is surely exaggerated more on the Rubi thatn the Sahara due to the tires. Checked and Double checked many vehicles at Dealer. Dealer was really nice about it. It is just the way they are.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brad2893
Yeah they are a bit flighty. Because of the extra length of the 4door, crosswinds can be 'interesting' sometimes. That said, I'm usually paying more attention to my hood lift...

The more you drive, the easier it gets. The Rubi just won't let you get bored.
exactly no boredom in a rubby
Old 11-09-2008, 03:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gonup2
i test drove a new rubicon unlimited and it seem you to have to pay attention to keep it in your lane. was wondering if that the way they are or they had filled the tires with nitrogen and no telling what pressure was in them. maybe to high. and seemed small on driver side by door. maybe just used to driving truck. thanks
Dude....3 words: "Solid Front Axle"

You actually have to "Drive" these Jeeps.

I never take my eyes off the road for too long, she love to drift into the next lane...I think she just cant help intimidating the little cars next to her
Old 11-09-2008, 06:48 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Cappi's JKR
Dude....3 words: "Solid Front Axle"

You actually have to "Drive" these Jeeps.

I never take my eyes off the road for too long, she love to drift into the next lane...I think she just cant help intimidating the little cars next to her

I liked your 3 words...
Now, could you explane why a solid front axel makes it quick steering.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:44 AM
JK Freak

I haven't take deliver of my new Unlimited Rubicon yet because I am still in this Godforsaken country of Afghanistan. My TJ wandered quite a bit and was kind of scary test driving it and driving it home after the sale. You get used to it though and it becomes second nature. I wouldn't worry about it. Just buy it. (by the way I have been to Iraq as well, and I believe what we are doing in both countries is just awesome and we are helping these people out huge!!! I am willing to come back however many times it takes to help these countries and help them to become democratic nations that are allies of the USA!)

Quick Reply: new rubicon