Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

No CEL - limp mode no issues before 4,000 rpm randomly

Old 08-17-2021, 07:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

The issue for me was caused by the lower plenum as well, mine was not correctly seated, torqued or seals were bad. I reinstalled with new seals and the issue has not occurred again. I waited and drove for several days before updating this thread
The following 2 users liked this post by djdowney:
Aldios (08-19-2021), bujinkantd (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 02:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue on my '14 JKUR and the same fix has worked so far. Thanks for all the diagnostic work and thanks for sharing! I never would have figured it out.

I had actually replaced my oil cooler in Dec '20 (requires upper and lower intake removal), but the problem didn't arise until May '21. Admittedly, I did not have a torque wrench to tighten everything to spec when I put it back together for the oil cooler job. I had replaced the gaskets during that job and they still looked fine so I kept 'em. Picked up a 1/4" torque wrench from Harbor Freight and tightened everything properly last week. If the issue doesn't come back, it must have been due to my poor torqueing job.

Best video showing the whole procedure is here:

Torque specs listed in the video description that I used are:
Upper intake bolts 89 in-lbs
Lower intake bolts 106 in-lbs

Old 01-31-2022, 08:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Hiccup
It seems to be fine now, went for a quick 50km drive yesterday in the dunes, seems to be okay.
Let me know how it goes for you as well when it has cooled down, hope it's the same fix for you.
Hi, I have a similar problem - I thought it was cured after the last efforts. Has yours been fixed with the lower manifold replacement?

Thanks
Old 03-01-2022, 09:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is the intake the answer?

Having the same issue for 9 months now.......has this been a confirmed fix?
My oil cooler was changed by a local shop June 2020, and this problem started July 21, but only about 6000 miles later. Been to the dealership twice, 2 other shops, and a transmission shop, thousands of dollars in diagnoses, repeatedly have to force the vehicle to the point of failure, to prove there is even an issue.....this is beyond ridiculous and we should file a class action against Just Empty Every Pocket, for all our time and suffering. It completely boggles me how it knows to think to protect itself, but give zero clues on whats wrong. They know it's an issue, but these Jeep JKs are not Stalanis they are Chrysler, and now JEEP has turned their back on us. Describing my issue to another dealership service manager, he immediately told me to consider getting something newer.....because my 2016 with 62500, is old and worn out? Shouldn't even be broke in!
The following users liked this post:
Marcus Byrd (05-24-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 10:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ferrytrip1
Hi, I have a similar problem - I thought it was cured after the last efforts. Has yours been fixed with the lower manifold replacement?

Thanks
try resetting your PCM by touching the pos and neg terminals together for about 15 to 20 mins. If that doesn’t do it, check the torque on your lower intake plenum

Old 03-01-2022, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MikoRiko
Having the same issue for 9 months now.......has this been a confirmed fix?
My oil cooler was changed by a local shop June 2020, and this problem started July 21, but only about 6000 miles later. Been to the dealership twice, 2 other shops, and a transmission shop, thousands of dollars in diagnoses, repeatedly have to force the vehicle to the point of failure, to prove there is even an issue.....this is beyond ridiculous and we should file a class action against Just Empty Every Pocket, for all our time and suffering. It completely boggles me how it knows to think to protect itself, but give zero clues on whats wrong. They know it's an issue, but these Jeep JKs are not Stalanis they are Chrysler, and now JEEP has turned their back on us. Describing my issue to another dealership service manager, he immediately told me to consider getting something newer.....because my 2016 with 62500, is old and worn out? Shouldn't even be broke in!

try resetting your PCM by touching the pos and neg terminals together for about 15 to 20 mins. If that doesn’t do it, check the torque on your lower intake plenum

Old 03-01-2022, 04:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by djdowney
Dealership just updated the PCM, the shop that replaced the oil cooler and possibility messed up the intake, said that the PCM was the issue. Funny after all these shops I'm the one telling the mechanics what limp mode is!
Old 03-05-2022, 03:37 AM
JK Newbie

Dealership just updated the PCM, the shop that replaced the oil cooler and possibility messed up the intake, said that the PCM was the issue. Funny after all these shops I'm the one telling the mechanics what limp mode is!
well another $700.....unnecessary sensors replaced, back to square one, had finally thrown P0198 for the hot oil sensor., I kept tryingto tell him it was an effect NOT THE CAUSE.....asked the mech to read through this forum, but he refused...I'm just some cute chick that drives a jeep, I don't know WTF I'm talking about. He said let me be the mechanic and let me do my job, so confident in his work, he drove it home only for it to fall on its face 5 miles back to his shop. Referred back to the dealership he says its the ECM. The shop that replaced the oil cooler used the old gaskets, I told him to replace them anyway, but refused said its not got a vacuum leak there.....I've already been to the dealer twice....now I'm looking to buy something really old screw newer. I can fix an older jeep myself!
The following users liked this post:
Marcus Byrd (05-24-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 07:13 PM
JK Newbie

Default Same boat

well another $700.....unnecessary sensors replaced, back to square one, had finally thrown P0198 for the hot oil sensor., I kept tryingto tell him it was an effect NOT THE CAUSE.....asked the mech to read through this forum, but he refused...I'm just some cute chick that drives a jeep, I don't know WTF I'm talking about. He said let me be the mechanic and let me do my job, so confident in his work, he drove it home only for it to fall on its face 5 miles back to his shop. Referred back to the dealership he says its the ECM. The shop that replaced the oil cooler used the old gaskets, I told him to replace them anyway, but refused said its not got a vacuum leak there.....I've already been to the dealer twice....now I'm looking to buy something really old screw newer. I can fix an older jeep myself!
Multiple shops and dealerships for over a year and still the same cut out in power. I'm going to take off both intakes and replace gaskets. Maybe heat tape some wires while I'm under the hood.
Old 06-27-2022, 08:00 AM
JK Newbie

after i took apart the intake and retorqued it, the issue went from happening every day to not happening for about a month. now it's back to every day. hard to believe that's a coincidence. did a smoke test on my intake today and found no leaks. pretty careless engineering to trigger a limp mode with no fault codes or anything.

Quick Reply: No CEL - limp mode no issues before 4,000 rpm randomly