Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

no tow package. no wiring?

Old 01-05-2011, 01:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

autoanything has good prices. I did the plug in adapter on the driver taillight.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not to thread-hijack, but has anyone tryed REMOVING the factory harness and factory receiver? I might be trading my 2-dr for a 4-dr soon, and would like to take it with me if the 4-dr doesn't have it.

I'm assuming the receiver itself is just a few bolts, but is the wiring as easy to take out as it is to put in? Or is it simpler to just get a new wiring kit?
Old 01-07-2011, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Don't know if this is helpful, but I Installed my mopar tow package myself, found it very easy, took about 2.5 hrs, all the holes are already drilled and ready for a towbar, just need to do the torque settings, as far as I can remember the harness can just unplug and plugged back into the original sockets... I still have the install diagram somewhere if you want to look at it...
Old 01-07-2011, 06:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by NH-JK
I got my 4 pin at the dealer for $40 bucks.. Its plug and play... Unbolt your drivers side tail light and it plugs in.... The 7 pin is more money but you have to splice wires...
The 7 pin Mopar harness doesn't require any splicing. Plug into drivers side rear tail light, and run three wires to the front - 2 for battery, 3rd is for a trailer brake.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rndptkea
Don't know if this is helpful, but I Installed my mopar tow package myself, found it very easy, took about 2.5 hrs, all the holes are already drilled and ready for a towbar, just need to do the torque settings, as far as I can remember the harness can just unplug and plugged back into the original sockets... I still have the install diagram somewhere if you want to look at it...
Not sure...the 4dr harness might be longer than the 2dr one. Can anyone confirm?
Old 01-07-2011, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think its the same length harness only plugs into rear lights...
Old 03-26-2011, 05:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default What size bolts?

Anyone know what size bolts I need to order? I was able to pick up a factory receiver really cheap - but I need the bolts and the wiring harness...

Thoughts?
Old 03-26-2011, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Smittybilt hitch and Mopar wiring. I got the Smittybilt because it has the little tabs to hold the Mopar plug (end of wiring harness) just like the stock hitch would have. Plus it was only $59.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PennsWoods
Hi,
I just ordered my wiring harness through the dealer (43 bucks) and am wondering if anyone had photos of how they stow the wire when you're not towing something?

I'm thinking of doing something weatherproof and tight to avoid snagging on the trail and keeping the connection out of the mud and road salt.

The round connectors have those cool outlet-style setups but I've seen nothing similar for the 4-flat.

This is the most simple sturdy thing I've found so far. It sits in a 1.25" hole and has the vehicle pigtail connected behind. I think its intended for a license plate knockout on a pickup step bumper.

I'm thinking about installing this by drilling a hole in the plastic Mopar rear bumper cover somewhere safe and out of the way.

http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.co...t_adapter.html

Thanks!
I just leave mine attached to the smittybilt bracket. Haven't had any problems with it getting hung up on anything. If I bang anything into the rocks it is the hitch itself but that really doesn't bother me.

Quick Reply: no tow package. no wiring?