Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

No valet key!

Old 03-28-2013, 08:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default No valet key!

Does anyone know of the valet key issue? The dealer wants 107 bucks for a separate key that keeps the glove box and console locked but allows the ignition to be operated. Does anyone know of another way on an aftermarket option?
Old 03-28-2013, 08:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey jkrubcon - I am no expert, but, I recall reading on here somewhere that as long as you have both of your original keys, you can buy a cheap one on ebay and then go through a process in the Jeep to program the third one.

I am sure someone here recalls what I am talking about and can expand on this. good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Evo35
Hey jkrubcon - I am no expert, but, I recall reading on here somewhere that as long as you have both of your original keys, you can buy a cheap one on ebay and then go through a process in the Jeep to program the third one.

I am sure someone here recalls what I am talking about and can expand on this. good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Yup you can, and the process to program the key is in your owners manual. If you dont have your owners manual you can get it from jeep.com or jeep.ca
Old 03-28-2013, 08:56 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could also swap out the locks on the glovebox and console so you need a separate key to open them.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:40 PM
JK Freak

Actually guys, 2 hours after the dealer gave me the price of 107 for the key, a mechanic called me back. Really cool guy. He told me the tumblers inside are the same from 1984 up to and including 2012 if you can believe that. Anywoo, he told me he has tons of them in his bottom right tool box drawer. I live 1 1/2hrs. from the dealership so I pulled the lock cylinders and mailed em. He said he'll swap the tumblers and make me a "dumb key" and mail them back. I said, price? He said, "way cheaper than 107". I'll report back to you guys what I get charged.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless I'm missing something, the OP is looking for a VALET key, which will operate the ignition but will not unlock the glove compartment/console. Point being that just getting another key and programming it won't solve the problem.

I had a couple of ZJs that came with valet keys, but ever since Chrysler switched to the chipped keys, I've never received one.

I wish I had an answer, but I don't. I am, however, curious to find out if valet keys are still available.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you got the valet key issue solved, but I wouldn't consider the console and glove box 'secure' storage. The mechanisms that close them are all plastic and all it takes is a stout tug, and they will open, even if locked.

I put a Tuffy drawer under the driver's seat and it works great. Will probably add one under the passenger seat soon.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:34 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HogHoden
Sounds like you got the valet key issue solved, but I wouldn't consider the console and glove box 'secure' storage. The mechanisms that close them are all plastic and all it takes is a stout tug, and they will open, even if locked.

I put a Tuffy drawer under the driver's seat and it works great. Will probably add one under the passenger seat soon.
x2
I put a Tuffy under the driver seat and the Tuffy center console insert. Be pretty hard to break into.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:09 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by HogHoden

Just trying to keep my kid out of my crap is my goal.

Quick Reply: No valet key!