Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Noise, clutch or transmission?

Old 10-03-2017, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Noise, clutch or transmission?

2007 JK 6 speed manual. 126,000 miles. Stock engine, tranny and clutch.

Everything is currently working but...

When I engage the clutch to shift while accelerating I get a mechanical whining. It goes away as soon as I let off the clutch. Happens while driving AND when I am sitting still engaging/letting out the clutch with motor idling.

Clutch going out? Something worse coming?

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2017, 08:38 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Most likely the throwout bearing. At that mileage, recommend replace the clutch, pressure plate, rear main seal, pilot bearing, transmission front seal, shift ball and fork and, of course, the TOB. Inspect the flywheel, and machine or replace, as needed. The slave cylinder is easily replaced at any time, but you may want to change that, too.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ouch!

Might be easier to just buy a new Jeep...
Old 10-03-2017, 11:35 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by dan3jeeps
Ouch!

Might be easier to just buy a new Jeep...
I've done mine once (with plenty of volunteer help), and paid a mechanic friend to do it the second time. It is a lot of work ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Clutch Install, Jan 12, 9684, James, Mark and Jim.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	2.99 MB
ID:	675258

The reason I say to change those other parts is because once you're in there, you may as well do so even though they may very well appear just fine. Better that than in another 25K miles have to change, say, the main bearing seal, and then another 25K miles later have the clutch start to slip.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mark,

Coincidentally enough when I took my Jeep to my favorite mechanic yesterday he said exactly the same thing you did. And explained to me why, just like you did. I appreciate the insight and the list of things I need to look into. If I had not had that help going into my mechanic I would have been completely taken off guard and suspicious of the garage's motives. Knowledge is power, or so it is said.

My mechanic told me they won't know how bad the transmission issue is until they get it apart. Hopefully today I will learn approximately how large my repair bill is going to be. Ouch ouch ouch ouch. At least the garage has a free loaner car for the duration. But nobody gives me the Jeep wave while I drive around in a 98 Crown Vic.

Dan
Old 10-07-2017, 01:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

We have a winner! It was the throw out bearing. Put a whole new clutch assembly in while at it. All new parts, much quieter now.

Quick Reply: Noise, clutch or transmission?