Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Noise Needs to be Identified

Old 07-29-2020, 08:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Noise Needs to be Identified

Ron here from Texas. I have a 2008 JK with 132,000 miles and auto tranny. Started hearing a whirring sound only at low speed, only when up shifting 1st to 2nd. No other times. If I anticipate the shift and let off of gas at the right moment, jeep with shift with no noise. Local mechanic had me change the EGR valve with 75% probable fix. Engine light had been on and said it was faulty. Did replace but still making noise. No grinding, bumps, shudder, etc. Just a 1-2 second whirr. After I get going all is well. Normal sounds when slowing down. Normal sounds when going from 2nd to 3rd. Just low speed. Sometimes sounds above tranny inside engine compartment, but still associated with the initial shift. The whirring sound is noticeable, meaning not faint. But not super loud. Any idea? Thank you.

Last edited by REBtexas; 07-29-2020 at 08:19 PM. Reason: improve message
Old 07-31-2020, 12:45 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Check your welds on the heat shield at the exhaust crossover pipe under the transmission. If one of them breaks (quite common), it can cause a high-pitched vibrating sound. Also, you'd have a better chance asking this question on the sub-forum on Stock JK Tech. Perhaps the mods will do you a favor and move it. :-)

Quick Reply: Noise Needs to be Identified