Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
View Poll Results: How many 6 speed owners experience a rough shift from 1st to 2nd
Yes
57.14%
No
42.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

NSG-370 how tough is it?

Old 01-25-2011, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKevolution1050
i notice for me, its very inconsistant, it could be cold or hot, snow or blacktop, off road or on, doesnt matter. Its either super smooth, or tearin into it. i have just under 10k on mine, have had it since sept, have not changed the fluid yet though.
It is very annoying would be nice to know exactly what causes the rough shift and how much damage it does. I have heard a few different things but yet to get a specific answer. Some of the things I have found have said that the rough shift is a normal characteristic of triple cone synchros ( there are triple cone syncros between first and second ) others have blamed it on the low gear ratio 1st features.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, i'm on my third clutch kit...second throwout bearing and second flywheel...don't ever go to east hills chrysler...the mechanics are beyond incompetent....it seems to be a cold issue as of now...though in the past few months when depressing he clutch my rpms will race to about 3500 and slowly descend....it'll be hard to record, ever since they opened the tranny up it makes a lot of chatter on top of the whine. I think i will see how the new engine and transmission they put in the 2012s go and trade it in in a year or so. DESPERATION!
Old 01-25-2011, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 09jaykay
I have almost like a high pitched squeal when accelerating, it stop as soon as i return to cruise. its not really loud but if you listen hard you can hear it. No clue what it is, im already on my second throw out bearing first one was replaced at 15,000 miles. other then that no real issues with the tranny.
Sounds like you're going to be on your third soon
Old 01-25-2011, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by enwhypetey
Yeah, i'm on my third clutch kit...second throwout bearing and second flywheel...don't ever go to east hills chrysler...the mechanics are beyond incompetent....it seems to be a cold issue as of now...though in the past few months when depressing he clutch my rpms will race to about 3500 and slowly descend....it'll be hard to record, ever since they opened the tranny up it makes a lot of chatter on top of the whine. I think i will see how the new engine and transmission they put in the 2012s go and trade it in in a year or so. DESPERATION!
When I start having trouble with my clutch I'm gonna put in a centerforce.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:10 PM
JK Newbie

The funny thing is the clutch was fine...just had the sneaker squeak...throwout bearing would have done the trick...but the first few times they replaced the kit, starting in first gear it felt like the engine was jumping side to side and i would crawl..almost bit it a few times at a few intersections vs. Tractor trailers...it's been running fine...replaced the bearing in december...squeakless for a week and now it's back plus this whine. I've all but given up
Old 01-25-2011, 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by itsajeepthing91

When I start having trouble with my clutch I'm gonna put in a centerforce.
I have heard that centerforce can be problematic with the weights falling off
Old 01-25-2011, 06:15 PM
JK Super Freak

To answer the question; how tough is it? I'd say tougher than the 3.8L V6. How many threads here do we see with the title "my tranny blew a bearing at 40K miles"? Certainly nowhere near the amount of "my motor spun a bearing at 40K miles" threads.

Although some of them have issues with popping out of 1st, I'd say the biggest issue is that the NG370 is a clunky, long-throw, slow-synchro'd truck gearbox (Mercedes used them in their vans & light trucks) perfect for the clunky, low-powered, tall-geared Wrangler & certainly not a silky smooth sports car transmission.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

The funny thing is the clutch was fine...just had the sneaker squeak...throwout bearing would have done the trick...but the first few times they replaced the kit, starting in first gear it felt like the engine was jumping side to side and i would crawl..almost bit it a few times at a few intersections vs. Tractor trailers...it's been running fine...replaced the bearing in december...squeakless for a week and now it's back plus this whine. I've all but given up
I've had the sneaker squeak for awhile have learned to live with it....... I hate bringing the jeep to the dealer.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have heard that centerforce can be problematic with the weights falling off
Thanks for the tip I hadn't heard that. Good to know before I go from one problem clutch to the next.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKlad
To answer the question; how tough is it? I'd say tougher than the 3.8L V6. How many threads here do we see with the title "my tranny blew a bearing at 40K miles"? Certainly nowhere near the amount of "my motor spun a bearing at 40K miles" threads.

Although some of them have issues with popping out of 1st, I'd say the biggest issue is that the NG370 is a clunky, long-throw, slow-synchro'd truck gearbox (Mercedes used them in their vans & light trucks) perfect for the clunky, low-powered, tall-geared Wrangler & certainly not a silky smooth sports car transmission.
Well said and good point. But I have also after doing research found 3.8s with as many as 500,000 km on them not saying that a few high milage motors proves the motor as reliable but it does show hope. A motor also requires more
Maintenance than a tranny could the high motor failure rate have to do with
Maintenance neglect?

Quick Reply: NSG-370 how tough is it?