Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

observations on the JK

Old 11-17-2006, 06:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default observations on the JK

I looked one over yesterday. First thing that stood out was the muffler; that thing will get smashed up first time offroad. Second thing I didn't like was the swaybar disconnect up front seemed to hang pretty low. It compromises the approach angle and I see it as a likely source of wheeling carnage. Thirdly, what is that black box hanging low in the middle? Opposite the gas tank, it's probably 12" long, 6" wide and 4" deep? Seems like that might be a problem offroad as well.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:37 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Scope, welcome to JK-Forum. In response to your statements/questions, yes, that muffler will get thrashed but fortunately, there are plenty of exhaust companies working on relocation kits now. Regarding the e-disco, yes, this hangs pretty damn low but again, there are companies who have now or are developing skids to protect it. Last but not least, the black box is the emissions canister.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:42 PM
JK Freak

hey welcome to the forum
You are not the first to point out the muffler issue. I don't agree that you will destroy it on your first outing. I've been paying more attention to jeeps lately & I'm sure the gas tank hangs lower on the TJ than the exhaust does on the JK. If you don't drop off rock ledges you may never have a problem with that config. I don't want to bash anything on my Jeep yet, but if I had to choose I'd rather gouge the muffler than the gas tank.

I too wonder why they mounted the emmisions cannister in such a way that it begs to be caught on something.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:15 PM
JK Newbie

If I remember right, the exhaust crosses in front of a cross member also. I believe there was room to cross it behind to save from smashing it.

Just an observation with the exhaust.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:32 AM
JK Freak

I will get pictures up tonight of an exhaust relocation I'm doing today.. I will also be Dyno'ing the differences between Dual and single exhaust systems.. Then with the addition of an intake system and Stage II chip.. Results tonight..
Old 11-21-2006, 07:54 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1BADJK
I will get pictures up tonight of an exhaust relocation I'm doing today.. I will also be Dyno'ing the differences between Dual and single exhaust systems.. Then with the addition of an intake system and Stage II chip.. Results tonight..

I can't wait to see them!
Old 11-21-2006, 08:04 AM
JK Freak

Nitro man that's where it's at!! wohoo
Old 11-21-2006, 08:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 1BADJK

Looking forward to pics/results on this.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Please include some info on which brands you get. Thanks!

Quick Reply: observations on the JK