Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

OEM Parking Brake Lever Study

Old 01-03-2011, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Similar issue

Bummer! I just bought my '08 Wrangler and yesterday when parking it, I pulled up on the park brake and "SNAP!"...I'm pretty sure I see a broken spring arm. Guess a trip to the dealer is needed...
Old 03-22-2011, 07:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

same problem, clutch spring arm broke in same spot as original pics, this post was a lot of help, thanks!

Last edited by ResQGrnRubi; 03-22-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:16 PM
JK Newbie

So what does it take before Chrysler issues a recall on something like this. It's obvious this is a design flaw. My park brake went out the other day and I was going to try the adjustment tech listed in the Project-JK section but decided to check the lever and found that it was broke just as the rest of yalls.

Like all the rest before me. . . This write up was just what I was looking for. Job well done!!!
Old 03-26-2011, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

This may be interesting. I had a 1996 Jeep Cherokee and the emergency brake broke. It would cost $450.00 to fix it at that time so I ignored it but it bugged me.
On a flight into Reno I happened to sit next to a Jeep advertising rep. from Japan who was going on the Rubicon Trail for a photo shoot on the new Jeep.
I told him about the emergency brake and he said that it was a free factory recall in Japan because it was such a common problem and it was certainly a safety issue.
Not in the good old USA though. Isn't that swell? And this is 15 years later and the same problem exists. ;-)
Old 03-28-2011, 07:59 PM
JK Newbie

WOW!!! I called the dealer today to order my new park brake ass. and was totally shocked at how little I got out of there with. Only cost me $70 and change out the door. I had to ask 3 times to make sure he was pullin up the right part, lol. Figured I was gunna take a gougein. The funniest part tho was that he said that he couldn't even look up the part without the last 4 of my vin. Thought I was talkin to the guys at Auto Zone there for a min.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wonderful. That is what they should cost I think. Good deal better than $450.00 years ago.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmhines
Is there a way to adjust the engagement? I gotta yank the he'll out of mine to hold my JK on an incline.
stick a brake spoon in the adjustment hole and turn it a few times. repeat for both sides.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:01 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great write up...my brake is krap too...
i'm going to be carefull with it in future...
no excessive force is the order of the day...
Old 04-11-2011, 08:14 AM
JK Newbie

Default e-brake light flashes

I have the same problem with my e-brake, i just picked my jeep up a couple days ago and i have to yank it the whole way. But, my e-brake light on the dash also flashes when the e-brake is on and I was wondering if this is normal?
Old 04-11-2011, 08:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced mine with a 2011 version and although it seems to be better quality unit the mechanism and spring pack is the same and it is a direct swap.

It does feel much more solid, if that makes sence, the 2010 version wiggled laterally alot.

Quick Reply: OEM Parking Brake Lever Study