Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Oil burning motors; possible cause identified?

Old 07-24-2011, 05:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget the 3.8 V6 was also used in the Dodge vans.
My wife's 07 Grand Caravan has 80,000 miles, but it has burned a quart & 1/2 every 3,000 miles for a long, long time.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Great Feedback

I purchases an early 07 that has had this issue for a long time. I now have over 60thousand miles and will keep running until I am forced to do something since I will have to pay. Thanks for the information although we all know Chrysler will deny all wrong doing and accountability.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:21 AM
JK Freak

My 2008 JK wasn't burning oil, but it was making ticking noises and they replaced the short block without a single question to me. Heck, they didn't even tear then engine down. I dropped it off and 3 hours later, the service manager called me saying a short black was being overnighted to the dealership.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:21 PM
JK Newbie

'07 Unlimited. Got 85K on it now. Ordered it brand new from the dealer in march of '07. Still burns a quart of oil every 3000 miles like it has since day 1.
Paulsboro, NJ. New Orleans, La. San Fransisco, CA. Salt Lake City, UT. Robinson, IL. Indianapolis, IN. Detroit, MI. Niagara Falls, ON. Canada. Driving from TX coast. Pulling a trailer for most of those. I've got my money out of it. I use 5w-30 oil though.
I think Chrysler was trying to make do with existing 3.8 engine production lines until they could bring the new pentastar online. Im sure the tooling is starting to wear out just like it did for the inline 6.
Fine by me because I understand pushrod motors better than the OH cam.

Last edited by eeb24; 07-24-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:23 PM
JK Newbie

Pre-story info:
My Jeep is a 2008 2dr X
I had ~47k miles on it at the time

Recently, as in within the last month, I was driving from Dayton OH to Madison WI to visit my dad since I had a break from school. (note: my little genie lamp (oil) light would flash on and off then the Jeep would chime to notify me of something, and the light would already be off. This happened every once in awhile the entire way up to WI) on highway miles/roads only, not doing anything stupid. No fast driving, no flooring it to pass people, no nothing, enjoying the cruise up there. Halfway there i had happened to get off the highway to get gas and take a leak. Go to start the Jeep back up and there was a loud knocking noise from under the hood. Now, i know i should've gotten it checked out but I was a couple hundred miles from anything I knew.... Dayton or Madison. So I kept driving. Not knowing much about engines, I am freaking out the entire way to WI. I get off and into his town, stop and put a full quart of conventional oil into it thinking that would help and it sucked it right up. Later that day we take it to a dealer and they do what they do and call back to say I have ONLY 2 quarts -TOTAL- in my engine. I told them that's nearly impossible. I checked my oil before left Dayton (engine hot and cold both). Right at the full line. So I'm shocked it could be so low. They said it was. Whatever . So they asked permission to run a diagnostic on it. Ya go for it. They come back and say I threw a #6 cylinder connecting rod. Confused, I asked wouldn't it have popped through my engine block? They said that happens but not always. Ok fine. So they estimated a $4400 total on it . Now another twist, the title had switched owners within direct family have you, 1 week prior to this. Lifetime powertrain warranty = VOID . I teared up a bit. Well, it needs to be fixed so go ahead. They do all the fixing and get back to me about 4 days later. In the meantime my father and I filed a claim with Chrysler to possibly do a 50/50 split on the bill. It goes trough their chain of command and someone finally gets back to me and says if you can show us some kind of maintenance record than we'll consider. Well.... I have every receipt from a wiper blade to oil changes, and on the oil change receipts I write the date and mileage I change it at. So that impresses them and they get back with me and say a 50/50 split will be reflected on the bill. COOL!

Fast forward to a week after I get my Jeep back, my father calls me and says I have good news for you.... ok shoot. He goes to explain Chrysler would like to help us out. And the only other thing they could help with is the bill of now $2200 and/or the re-instatement of the lifetime powertrain warranty. I get very excited. He said they'd like to do both! I just about squealed like a school girl .

So,
My lifetime powertrain warranty was void due to the title change = now re-instated fully
WI dealership bill = Chrysler covered in full
Jeep = running well so far
Me as a customer = my faith with Chrysler/Jeep was renewed - a customer for life for all the trouble they went through.

Just one more little thing bothers me still.... if they replaced the broken parts, whatever they actually ended up being, sent it back to Chrysler for inspection, tests, etc, than I'm pretty confident in saying they 1) re-instated my lifetime powertrain warranty and 2) covered the entire bill because they found a defect in the engine/components.

Long story to put my in on the thread. Just thought I'd share my case

Last edited by ProjectJK08; 09-29-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:34 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

ProjectJK08,

That is a FANTASTIC story! I'll bet it's the only one like it on the forum.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
ProjectJK08,

That is a FANTASTIC story! I'll bet it's the only one like it on the forum.
Moral of that story is that my record keeping saved my rear and Chrysler isn't all bad. They do pay attention when something serious comes around
Old 09-30-2011, 05:47 AM
JK Newbie

My 09 X with 37k miles,is in the shop right now. Started off with the ticking noise on startup. Oil consumption test showed 1.7 quarts gone in 1000 miles. They started teardown yesterday and found three of the cylinders with heavy carbon and one piston "loose" in the bore! Waiting for inspector to look at it today...
Old 09-30-2011, 06:09 AM
JK Newbie

Im glad some of you are getting the problem fixed. I cant even get to the tear down phase and keep getting denied of an issue by Chyrsler. I have "heavy" ping or engine knock, my motor is now burning close to a half a quart every 300 miles and I lose all power once the motor reachs full tempature. The service manager and factory rep and every other mechanics at the dealership all agrees there is something wrong but whomever at the factory that approves the engine work is denying saying that the noise is normal. They have replaced my lifters and just dropped my oil pan, to only come back and tell me its because of my 33" tires. Im at my wits end on this one.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats is good new. Congrats.

Subscribed to this tread!

Quick Reply: Oil burning motors; possible cause identified?