Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Oil burning motors; possible cause identified?

Old 12-30-2014, 06:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 2007 Jk. it just started using 1 quart every 1000 miles. Where should I begin? Like do I have to get a oil consumption test? Its got 75000 miles on it and out of warranty. My dealer always acts like every problem I have had, is the first time anyone has ever had this problem.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by florida jeeper
I have the 2007 Jk. it just started using 1 quart every 1000 miles. Where should I begin? Like do I have to get a oil consumption test? Its got 75000 miles on it and out of warranty. My dealer always acts like every problem I have had, is the first time anyone has ever had this problem.
Yes, start a consumption test and change the pcv valve. When the test is over, switch to 5W30 and see if it slows the consumption. Chrysler is going to call 1 qt per 1k miles normal...
Old 01-04-2015, 06:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by florida jeeper
I bought my jk with 100k and it uses about 1qt per 3-4k miles. I am at 125k now and still the same.

I know I am going down a different direction but bare with me. Soon after the purchase I was getting the dreaded red lightning bolt when I put my foot into it to pass someone on the highway. Through a ton of research and multiple trips to a shop that didnt charge for diagnostics, "I found" that the driverside manifold was cracked under the heat shield. Finally replaced it but now I have a p0340 catalyst code. Months more of research and found that a bad cat will cause lower mpg an cause oil consumption. All symptoms my jeep is experiencing. I dont know how long the driver manifold was cracked but I believe it caused the cat to go bad. Add to it that when I had the manifold off I peeked down into the cat and it was 75% solide versus all open honeycomb. Finally, I have read that the jeep cats are only good for about 70-100k without additional exhaust issues (cracked exhaust manifold).

I am taking it to the shop this week to have the cat tested to confirm. If this is the cause I will be installing the RIPP long tube headers ($1600) since the come with cats and is only a few hundred dollars more than buying stock replacement cats from a dealer or parts store ($1200+). I will provide an update as to whether my oil consumption decreases and mpg gets significantly better post header install if my cat isnt purring correctly...

I hope this is helpful information to some.

Last edited by TWilson77; 01-04-2015 at 06:40 AM.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:34 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the oil burning is what clogged the cat which lowers MPG due to exhaust restriction.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:13 PM
JK Newbie

Well, got back from the shop and received confirmation that it was bad, was given an estimate of 1400 to replace the bad cat. Now I have to choose, 1400 to have a stock replacement or 1600 for RIPP longtube headers with cats that I will have to install. Oh the decisions.....
Old 03-16-2015, 08:45 PM
JK Newbie

Default 08 unlimited with 65k

My jeep went to the shop last week with a bad knock in the motor dealer stated that they would look at it and advise me of finding. Fast forward about one week and it is determined that I need work one service advisor stated that they would be putting in a long block but the second guy I spoke to stated they were replacing the rod bearings and then taking it for a drive. I guess the Chrysler advisor wants the bearings done before the other work all I have to say is thank god for the lifetime power train warranty and good record keeping of all the oil changes and so on I will fill you all in on the finding when the jeep is returned hopefully in a few days we will see.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default bump

Originally Posted by RabidYellowRhino
Sadly, I might be in the same boat. Increasing oil consumption after each oil change after 37000 miles to the point where right before my last oil change I noticed the oil light coming on when my jeep was on inclines (this was right at 3000 miles since last oil change).

Have a 08 x unlimited with 45000 miles.

Has anyone had any trouble with their power train warranty in regards to this issue with th dealer trying to blame this on lifts, bigger tires, and regearing?

I want to be prepared if I decide to take this to the stealership
Just wondering the same. I have had the occasional oil lamp warning pop up so I immediately put oil in it but this thing seems to be drinking oil. I also have the ULPTW as it is an '08 and I have all my service records. I am taking it in tomorrow and I'm gonna' ask them what is going on. Wish me luck.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:00 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by justinstoffregen
I have had the occasional oil lamp warning pop up so I immediately put oil in it
You haven't been checking the oil level until the light comes on?
Old 04-22-2015, 09:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
You haven't been checking the oil level until the light comes on?
I check it pretty regularly and I get the oil changed every 4 months. Just to give you an idea, I have an 08 with 46k miles on it so I get the oil changed whenever I get the tires rotated which is about every 4 months even though I only drive about 6200 miles a YEAR. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that I shouldn't have to check the oil that often considering my driving habits. That has recently changed and now i am concerned that something is wrong. Why do you ask? I realize that the deadly red oil lamp light is not a "low oil indicator" if that's what you're getting at.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:27 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by justinstoffregen
I check it pretty regularly and I get the oil changed every 4 months. Just to give you an idea, I have an 08 with 46k miles on it so I get the oil changed whenever I get the tires rotated which is about every 4 months even though I only drive about 6200 miles a YEAR. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that I shouldn't have to check the oil that often considering my driving habits. That has recently changed and now i am concerned that something is wrong. Why do you ask? I realize that the deadly red oil lamp light is not a "low oil indicator" if that's what you're getting at.
Yeah, that's what I was getting at. I was wondering how the oil can get so low if you are checking it "pretty regularly".
I have seen lots of posts from people who also think they shouldn't have to check the oil that often. They are usually quite agitated when they post that sentiment.

Each time your oil got low enough to have the light come on, damage was done. The pump is sucking air at that point.

Quick Reply: Oil burning motors; possible cause identified?