Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oil change indicater

Old 09-10-2012, 06:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, makes me feel like I had alot. Maybe my engine was lucky enough to have that out of spec drill bit machine the number two cylinder valve seat

I just started at the Mopar symbol and fingered though all the pleats. Everything was small and silver, I'm thinking casting flashings.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:37 PM
JK Freak

damn i changed my oil the 1st time at 1200 miles and thought i was pushing it.
the 1st change IMO is the most important...get all those early wear metals outta the engine.

my next change will probably be at the 4 or 5 k mark - i sample my oil and send it to blackstonelabs.com its a good way to REALLY figure out whats going on w/ the motor wear & how well the oil is lasting.

i have a diesel truck that the mfg recommends 7500 mile change intervals (on 14 quarts)....my oil testing & sampling has taught me that the oil can not hold up to those intervals (and it doesnt matter if its synthetic or conventional - the truck sheers the oil to an unacceptable level and has all be used up the wear inhibitors (boron & zinc) by 6k miles....my recommendation...SAMPLE your oil if you really want to know how long you can go between changes.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

My wife's BMW was 15k miles between changes and my old 03 Porsche Cayenne was 20 miles between changes. US specs are very much tilted by Oil companies I suspect. Ran my Cayenne hard for 88k miles and it never burned a drop. Shame I sold it.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I use a combination of colormetric indicators (if I can't see the dipstick through the oil when warm, it gets changed) or every 5k which ever comes first. Mobil 1 in my late model vehicles usually insures that something else wears out first.

What gets me is just how dirty the gear oil is at 50k miles...I have gone through almost five gallons of gear oil in the last WEEK as I catch up on maintenance on various vehicles. So far gear oil changes in Tacoma, JK Sahara and BMW R80ST and top up on the M37.

You can do a very great number of oil changes before you hit the cost of a SINGLE transmission, t-case or diff rebuilt. It is costing me between $450 and $1,100 when I send ANY box out for work. I have been between $900 and $1500 on machine shop service on engines in the last few years. And head work varies greatly with LONG return times.

Howard
Old 09-12-2012, 08:14 PM
JK Newbie

Daily post
Old 09-14-2012, 03:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil change interval

I am a commuter. In all my vehicles I have changed the oil and rotated my tires every 5000 miles. My first jeep (bought new in 1982 CJ-7) could still go between oil changes without having to add any oil. It was ready to add but never actually had to even after almost 250,000 miles. I had a 280Z and put well over 100,000 miles on it with no problems or unusual oil consumption. Other cars were traded for reasons other than mechanical prior to them accumulating as many miles with the same interval. One advantage to every 5000 is that I never have to look at a sticker to know when it's time to change the oil. If the odometer indicates an interval of 5000 miles...it's time.

KG6SLC

Quick Reply: Oil change indicater