Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oil filter housing leak

Old 01-18-2021, 04:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil filter housing leak

I had an oil leak at the filter housing area, oil puddled up in valley and leaking down back of motor. Replaced filter housing back in September. Saw no leaks until December when I saw oil on the driveway, checked underneath and it was coming from top backside of motor again. Pulled the intake back off and valley was puddled up again. Instead of jumping to replace the housing again, I removed the housing and cleaned all the oil from the valley and cleaned the surfaces the housing mounts too real good, reseated and torqued housing to spec. I wanted to try this first before replacing again just being sure it was seated and torqued properly to seal off. Drove it about a month and and now it’s leaking again. So, the first time I put the new housing on, it didn’t leak for 3 months, when I removed it to reseat it, it started leaking after a month. I’m wondering if it has a slow leak that’s taking time to fill up the valley before it’s starting to come down the back side of motor and that’s why I’m not seeing it for months after cleaning valley. Or, is it possible that something else, over time, is causing the oil to blow by the seals on housing?
Old 01-24-2021, 05:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you use a OEM Mopar assembly or an off brand Amazon? I have see 3 different Jeeps with bargan units fail in less than 6 months.
The following users liked this post:
Jay2013jk (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 05:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nevrnf
Did you use a OEM Mopar assembly or an off brand Amazon? I have see 3 different Jeeps with bargan units fail in less than 6 months.
I used an off brand from rock auto.

Quick Reply: Oil filter housing leak