Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

"Oil Housing Leak" after service oil change.

Old 12-15-2020, 10:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Oil Housing Leak" after service oil change.

Hello,
Thanks for taking a look at an issue with my 2014 Jeep Wrangler Willys wheeler. Long story short, got synthetic oil change last week. Oil was leaking small amount since that day. Weird burning smell in car periodically, neighbor says he notices oil leak since we share a parallel driveway. Engine light goes off today, bring it into the place and they say I have a leak from the oil housing. Will cost $500 to fix. They say very little oil leak but engine is running much better after they cleared code and went in there, but he gives me some awkward run around.

Did they damage the intake oil housing when putting in the new filter? The service guy at the local dealership said there are cases when the oil filter or wrong oil filter is inputted improperly that it damages the housing. Should I confront them about this theory or file a complaint?

Thanks guys, any direction would be appreciated.
Old 12-15-2020, 11:04 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

the oil filter housing leak is very common on 2014's. I doubt it is anything they did. it is a poor design and lots of failures on 2014's.
Old 12-15-2020, 07:38 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
the oil filter housing leak is very common on 2014's. I doubt it is anything they did. it is a poor design and lots of failures on 2014's.

100% agree, I think this is bad luck and unfortunate timing, this is very preveleant on 14/15's more than anything it seems. If you are at all handy and can remove the upper intake/manifolt, you are way better served buying the part and doing this repair yourself IMO. Is what it is. Change the spark plugs while you're in there if your're even remotely close to the interval. you will see why along the way if you don't yet.
Old 12-16-2020, 03:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

$500 seems like not a bad price to fix. I too have a 2014 willys that had the problem. It was already in the shop because an exhaust valve spring broke, so I had the shop fix it. I think they charged me closer to $800.
Old 12-19-2020, 04:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

having to replace my oil filter housing again after 3 months in my 2012. guess I should have got the mopar part instead of a cheaper priced aftermarket.
Old 12-21-2020, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

I suggested that to my repair guy. He said it is not close and he has to remove the intake and quoted me an extra 150 dollars. Im at 52k miles. Do you believe this is accurate? Thanks
Old 12-21-2020, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 356 Likes on 332 Posts

Your looking at approx $70.00 for the Mopar OE spark plugs + his labor charge..can't say that 150 is unreasonable for Cali.. The maintenance schedule says change plugs at 100,000 miles.. your call .. IMO if I was keeping for another 6 years I would .. & I have changed mine when the intake was off before the 100K miles.
Old 12-21-2020, 10:56 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Gdunnpt
I suggested that to my repair guy. He said it is not close and he has to remove the intake and quoted me an extra 150 dollars. Im at 52k miles. Do you believe this is accurate? Thanks
I think what you're saying here is that you suggested $500 to your repair guy and he said that wasn't enough, quoting you $650 for the repair instead. if that is what you're saying, i think that is much more inline, maybe even still low side if using the Mopar part, for what people are paying. I may have misread your comment though.

edit - damn, I'm all discombobulated. in this thread i think i have just misinterpreted everything. i'll go back to work now. :(
Old 12-21-2020, 11:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
I think what you're saying here is that you suggested $500 to your repair guy and he said that wasn't enough, quoting you $650 for the repair instead. if that is what you're saying, i think that is much more inline, maybe even still low side if using the Mopar part, for what people are paying. I may have misread your comment though.

edit - damn, I'm all discombobulated. in this thread i think i have just misinterpreted everything. i'll go back to work now. :(

Hey, sorry.

Someone suggested I do my spark plugs at the same time so I assumed there wasn't much extra labor to get them done as well and Im at 52k miles. So I asked my repair guy and he said theres an extra 2 hours of work in addition to the replacement of the oil housing repair. I was just asking if it was indeed inline to be charged for an extra 2 hours of labor ontop of the 2 hours of labor that I was being quoted in the first place. Thanks and sorry for the confusion.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:10 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Y, it was me. The reason I suggested it is cuz they have to remove the intake to get to that oil cooler housing, and you have to remove the intake to access the driver's side plugs. It's just a hassle to get to those plugs as a separate job is all. Wonder what they charge for spark plug replacement job from scratch.

Quick Reply: "Oil Housing Leak" after service oil change.