Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oil Leak on Delivery

Old 11-11-2007, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak on Delivery

Hey all,

Took delivery of our JK about 3 weeks ago and have recently been smelling a burned oil smell when stopped. A bit of investigation shows a pretty good oil leak from the front side of the oil pan/oil filter area. Has anyone experienced this from a brand new JK? Its also about a 1/2 quart down. I'll probably swing it by the dealer tomorrow.

I also noticed that the front diff breather has puked some oil from the top of the breather down along its length and has coated some parts below it. Overfilled front diff?

Thanks for any input.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Billnsandi
Hey all,

Took delivery of our JK about 3 weeks ago and have recently been smelling a burned oil smell when stopped. A bit of investigation shows a pretty good oil leak from the front side of the oil pan/oil filter area. Has anyone experienced this from a brand new JK? Its also about a 1/2 quart down. I'll probably swing it by the dealer tomorrow.

I also noticed that the front diff breather has puked some oil from the top of the breather down along its length and has coated some parts below it. Overfilled front diff?

Thanks for any input.
I would take that back ASAP to the dealership
Old 11-11-2007, 10:57 AM
JK Newbie

Looks like a few others have had similar problems.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ing+cover+leak

Mines leaking right near the spot that is described by the guy with the bad timing cover (that was leaking).
Old 11-15-2007, 09:11 PM
JK Newbie

I had the same thing two days after I got my JK. Found that the it is was the timing cover. What the dealer told me was that they had a bad casting at the factory. They had new cover shipped in and it has not leaks since...
Old 11-16-2007, 09:39 PM
JK Newbie

Yup, it was the timing cover. Service manager said some that were made, were "porous" and leaked pretty badly.

My front diff was super overfilled as well and was puking 90wt out the breather.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

On mine, after a 53 mile trip home, I came out to the garage the next morning and found a quart of oil on the floor. The filter was hanging by the last thread. Never rule out the simple fix when you have a problem with a new DC produced vehicle.

Might sound jaded, but my company vehicle (Pacifica) had the top radiator hose fly off at temp on the highway with 40 miles on it. Neither vehicle had what I would describe as a "complete delivery check".

Quick Reply: Oil Leak on Delivery