Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oil leak diagnosis

Old 08-31-2012, 06:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak diagnosis

I've got the drip! Almost daily I'm seeing a few drops of oil on the garage floor. Check out the pic and let me know what could be causing this leak. Jk gurus chime in please
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1039096500.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	360430   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3243660943.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	360431  
Old 08-31-2012, 07:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jharpphoto
I've got the drip! Almost daily I'm seeing a few drops of oil on the garage floor. Check out the pic and let me know what could be causing this leak. Jk gurus chime in please
This looks similar to what happened to mine. It was leaking from the Lower intake gasket because the dealership neglected to use new gaskets when they were re building my motor due to a oil consumption problem.

I would look around the whole motor for a place where its visibly dripping down

Last edited by rubicon7879; 08-31-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:48 AM
JK Newbie

I spilled a LOT of oil on the engine about 10 days ago. I thought I got it cleaned up. I don't see any excessive visible oil on the engine now. Could it still be dripping down from the spill 10 days ago? I didn't have any drips before my oil change.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:10 AM
JK Newbie

I spilled a LOT of oil on the engine about 10 days ago. I thought I got it cleaned up. I don't see any excessive visible oil on the engine now. Could it still be dripping down from the spill 10 days ago? I didn't have any drips before my oil change.
Could be but i doubt it. Id make sure i got everything cleaned up really well and see if it continues to be a problem. If its leaking from the top of the motor its going to run down and look like its dripping from a head gasket. I originally thought i blew a head gasket but i found out it was leaking from higher up.

The most important thing is to keep checking the oil level in the engine.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

at Every change i spill oil all over my axle and then it splashes all over from there when changing the filter, and it does take a day or two to find all the droplets!

Since you just changed the oil its worth noting...did you make sure the gasket on the old filter came off? 2 gaskets will definitely cause a leak. If it didn't leak before your oil change, it would be the first place I'd check
Edit: it says you spilled oil on the motor...i assumed it was during an oil change, but now I'm unsure if you were actually changing the oil or just happened to spill oil while doing something else.

Last edited by efan450; 08-31-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:41 AM
JK Newbie

I spilled the oil while refilling the oil during an oil change.

Quick Reply: Oil leak diagnosis