Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oil leak question

Old 02-09-2009, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak question

Hopefully I am in the right forum for this question?

I have an oil leak, please see the attached pictures. I am not a gear head by any standard so tech talk is over my head.

History: I noticed the first leak at 400+ miles. I researched this website and found an issue with a TSB for a porous valve cover. I took my JK to the dealer who also confirmed my leak issue and explained the TSB. I thought the problem was solved there. Currently at just over 2500+ miles I have noticed there is a leak again. I don't know what part of the jeep this is in the picture but this is the only place I see the leak. I don't know where the leak emanates but it is in this place only that I can see.

Any thoughts would help, prior to taking my Jeep to the dealer for repairs. My JK is still under warranty but I sure would like to solve this issue.

Thank you in advance for any information.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X   4X4 009.jpg
Views:	4082
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	19010   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X   4X4 007.jpg
Views:	2283
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	19011  
Old 02-09-2009, 12:00 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's the transmission bellhousing area. In layman's terms, that's where the engine and transmission bolt together. That's also one of the many places that the TSB covering the porus timing cover (not valve cover) says it may appear to be leaking from. It should go back to the dealer.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think that were this a timing cover leak, it would most likely be coming out the front. Since it's back by the bell housing could it be the rear main seal is leaking and oil is running down the inside of the engine/bellhousing area.
At any rate either calls for waranty work at the dealership.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:47 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

That's where my timing cover's leak showed itself. I traced it forward to the front of the engine. Before making a final decision, I cleaned the entire area with brake cleaner. The leak started at the timing cover and migrated to the low point, the bottom of the bell housing. I guess the wind from driving helped with the oil migration. New timing cover, under warranty, solved the leak problem.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
That's where my timing cover's leak showed itself. I traced it forward to the front of the engine. Before making a final decision, I cleaned the entire area with brake cleaner. The leak started at the timing cover and migrated to the low point, the bottom of the bell housing. I guess the wind from driving helped with the oil migration. New timing cover, under warranty, solved the leak problem.
Thanks for pointing that out. I would have never thought a leak up front would so up in the rear.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

....I've got the same lookin thing. It's not dripping or wet but, it looks like an old leak or residue from the factory or something that now has dirt clung to it. Figured if it's not dripping, it'd be ok. Right? or not? I've got 27,500 miles and have had it ever since i can remember.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by MELONHED
....I've got the same lookin thing. It's not dripping or wet but, it looks like an old leak or residue from the factory or something that now has dirt clung to it. Figured if it's not dripping, it'd be ok. Right? or not? I've got 27,500 miles and have had it ever since i can remember.
Clean the residue off and see what happens.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Clean the residue off and see what happens.
That's the plan....just haven't gotten around to it yet.....thanks though.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

It doesn't look like it's dripped down from anywhere either.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Oil leak

Mine was leaking there also-I thought it was the rear main and it turned out to be an intake gasket-dealer repaired and no more leaks

Quick Reply: Oil leak question