Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

OK to leave OD on with aux. cooler and 3.73 gearing in hilly area?

Old 03-21-2014, 08:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OK to leave OD on with aux. cooler and 3.73 gearing in hilly area?

I have been trying an experiment and have noticed that I have been getting about 2 mpg more, from 14 to about 16, by leaving OD on. Before I left OD off because I live in a hilly area of Georgia so it wouldn't drop down (or unlock torque converter) every time I went up a hill. Well it really isn't that bad and usually jumps from 1500 RPMs to about 2300 rpms at most when starting to climb a hill. I never get any of that crazy jumping up to 5000 rpms that I hear people talking about, and it usually shifts pretty early so it doesn't bog down much at all. So do you think it is ok just to leave it in over drive and save gas with an aux. cooler, or is the shifting going up hills still just going to wear on my transmission much faster. When I leave OD off I'm usually driving at about 60 MPH and the RPMs stay at about 2500, OD on its 1500 RPMs except hill climbs, which are about 2300-2500 rpms.

I have 32.5" tires and a 3" lift for those wanting to know. Speedo is adjusted correctly as I have exact speed on gps.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:27 PM
JK Freak

Regear out of the question? It was my first big expense but worth every penny. I sit at about 2100 rpm at 64mph with 4.88 gears. Decent mpg and better 4lo. Im supercharged now but pre supercharged it made driving much more tolerable.

As for OD, ive heard its fine and i used to do it. I also have a cooler. Tranny was flushed and the fluid looked pretty good. No dark colours or funky smell. But yes mpg suffers. I sometimes do it still, it just drives a little nicer in traffic. 4 speed shitbox......
Old 03-23-2014, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the reply. Ya, looking at $1500 to regear, a little much for me right now. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't killing the tranny because on the uphills it will either unlock t.c. or shift down into 3rd gear. The thing is though, when it shifts or unlocks it never revs above 2,500 rpms, so it's not doing that crazy shifting some have complained about where it jumps up to 5000 rpms.

Quick Reply: OK to leave OD on with aux. cooler and 3.73 gearing in hilly area?