Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

OK to mix diff fluids in an emergency?

Old 05-24-2010, 09:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OK to mix diff fluids in an emergency?

I'm currently running 75W-90 diff fluid in front and 85W-140 in the rear. Heading on some pretty remote trails early next month and would really like to only take on extra bottle of diff fluid.

Question: which kind to bring? The 75W-90 is about half the price of the 140, but the rear diff is about 1000x more important than the front for making it home. Would it hurt to "top off" the rear with some 90 if I get in trouble?

Thanks for any input!
Old 05-24-2010, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive done it before. I had to to get home. Hell i think i even used ATF just so i had something in there. If you can avoid it great. If not whatever it takes to get off the trail i guess.

I guess it also depends what you have in there. Is it locked in any way?
Old 05-24-2010, 09:28 AM
JK Junkie

either gear lube will work fine
Old 05-24-2010, 09:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by lang1864
Ive done it before. I had to to get home. Hell i think i even used ATF just so i had something in there. If you can avoid it great. If not whatever it takes to get off the trail i guess.

I guess it also depends what you have in there. Is it locked in any way?
It's got an LSD in the rear, but not a full locker. I think I'll go with the 90. That's a good point about the ATV or even, if you were super-desperate, just straight motor oil. Something is better than nothing if you're really in trouble.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hell ,i have seen some people throw cake batter in the diff,to make it home...you should be fine...
Old 05-24-2010, 06:01 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by JKNIGHT
hell ,i have seen some people throw cake batter in the diff,to make it home...you should be fine...
Years ago, saw dust was a popular additive, just prior putting the vehicle up for sale.

Quick Reply: OK to mix diff fluids in an emergency?