Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

OMG there has to be another way!

Old 03-29-2013, 06:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMG there has to be another way!

Ok I hate this stock knob, I want to put on this nice T-handle I bought,

Thought it would be easy. Damn this nonsense! WTF!!!! how the hell am I supposed to get this damned thing off????

seen the vids on youtube and wtf? really? I'm only 98lbs soaking wet.

advice needed and bad... now if it comes down to chiseling this thing off I will. But first anyone on here have a T-handle shift knob on their JK? does it fit? will i screw my self by chiseling this thing off? or will I be ok.... this so far sucks.... I want my T-handle damn it!!!

next step is get an external threader.... since I'm learning machining I should be able to thread my damn shift stick into one for my t-handle... I just need the right tools. >.< Has any one tried this?

Last edited by c3metal; 03-29-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just pull it off or if its on there really good put somthing behind it and wack it a few good times with a mallet. It will pop off.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:11 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah these are a pain.. what I did: wrap rag around shaft, hold crescent wrench around shaft up against bottom of knob, tap up with a hammer til it pops off, stand clear as they can fly to the back seat
Old 03-29-2013, 10:24 PM
JK Super Freak

I got in the back and pulled. You feel like you're gonna pull the stick out of the trans then BAM the knob comes off. I find it easy know. I can do it while driving if I try.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sit in the passenger seat so you don't have the wheel in your lap

Wrap a rag around it so it doesn't get scratched.

Put a open ended wrench around the shifter, should be the size of the shaft, hold it up against the rag wrapped knob

Wack the wrench with hammer upwards. DO NOT HAVE YOUR FACE ABOVE THE KNOB.

Also, do not have anything in the back seat that can be damaged by flying knobs

Drink beer.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by c3metal

Thought it would be easy. Damn this nonsense! WTF!!!! how the hell am I supposed to get this damned thing off????

advice needed and bad... now if it comes down to chiseling this thing off I will. But first anyone on here have a T-handle shift knob on their JK? does it fit? will i screw my self by chiseling this thing off? or will I be ok.... this so far sucks.... I want my T-handle damn it!!!

next step is get an external threader.... since I'm learning machining I should be able to thread my damn shift stick into one for my t-handle... I just need the right tools. >.< Has any one tried this?
Not sure, you may have done it first, if not, remove the bottom chrome pc and the top part....wiggle it just a little bit....lol...like the guy in this video....
2013 Orange Crush JK Shift Knob Replacement - YouTube
Old 03-30-2013, 10:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by c4bus
Sit in the passenger seat so you don't have the wheel in your lap

Wrap a rag around it so it doesn't get scratched.

Put a open ended wrench around the shifter, should be the size of the shaft, hold it up against the rag wrapped knob

Wack the wrench with hammer upwards. DO NOT HAVE YOUR FACE ABOVE THE KNOB.

Also, do not have anything in the back seat that can be damaged by flying knobs

Drink beer.

yes, why yes I will drink beer...
Old 03-30-2013, 10:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

GD, that's funny
Old 03-30-2013, 10:50 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't knock your teeth out. Good luck!
Old 03-30-2013, 11:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone has to say it--sounds like the End of the world for you not getting the handle you want on-get a real problem you can cry about here.

Quick Reply: OMG there has to be another way!